Compost screen

/ Compost screen #1  

Dutchman

Bronze Member
Tractor
CC 7265
I've been screening my compost through a 3' x 5' homemade screen, 1/2 inch mesh. It's placed on sawhorses and I simply shovel the compost on and shake my booty. While this approach is fine for small amounts of compost, I'm turning into a compost wacko and am now building windrows on the order of 10's of cubic yards. I turn them using the FEL.

I'm thinking, wouldn't it be great to build a motorized screen and just load it with the FEL as well? I've seen several types of mechanized topsoil screens but the one approach that I think might do best for me as a compost screen is a 3-sided bin. There are two screens on top of it and both slope away from the loading area (the open side of the bin) down to the back. The top screen is about two inch mesh to catch twigs and rocks. The lower screen is about 1/2 inch mesh. A motor is started and they start to vibrate, and sorta look like my first washing machine /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif The material is dumped on top, sieves through the two layers as it works its way down the slope. What doesn't fall through the screens is deposited on the ground at the rear of the bin. The screened material is deposited in the bin, ready for pick-up by the FEL. Pretty cool stuff.

Now I can figure out the easy stuff but I'm pretty clueless about where to start with the vibrating screens. I'm thinking some sort of cam on a pulley.

Any ideas or has anyone done something like this before?

Many Thanks.

/ Compost screen #2  
Try doing a search for Granger. It is a company that sells just about anything industrial. You can order their catalog over the net. I got mine in just a couple days. It has I'm guessing 3,000 pages!

Anyway, I noticed they have motors or mechanism of some sort that will likely meet your needs. There is a whole section on vibrator mechanisms both electric and hydrolic.

And by all means, keep us posted on your progress (preferabley with pictures!)

Mike

/ Compost screen #3  
Not that I have but I do run a couple of large piles I manage with the FEL. Beats the @$#$ out turning them by hand. However you might find this link useful for ideas.

Leon's Larger, Motor-Powered Sifter

/ Compost screen #4  
Here's a couple threads that came to mind from the past, and I found them with a couple searches:

A homemade electric motor powered shaker/sifter: topsoil screener

A suggested source for superior sifting sieves/screens: Screening Loam and Gravel

A true classic - TBN theoretical exposition on alternative power compost turning:windmill composter

/ Compost screen #5  
Search for a gold mining equipment site. Look at the shakers used by the high bankers. Eliminate the carpet that catches the gold dust. Ergo a compost shaker. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Let me borrow it when you are finished. My wife has decided to go to raised beds next season, and I'll be needing to screen out about 2 million rocks. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Compost screen
Thanks folks. That's some great stuff!

I ran across the Leon's sifter during a web search and have it bookmarked for reference. I've now bookmarked the recommended threads.

Once I make up my mind on the approach (I'm also thinking of a tumbling barrel design), I'm going to build a prototype. I have quite a few things on the to do list (like running utilities to a new pole barn, putting in drainage and backfill), I'm not sure I'll get at a working model until next compost season.

I'll keep you posted, with pics.

Dutch

/ Compost screen #7  
I knew that Google does directed searches, but when I read your reply above, one of the Google Pop-up ads were for Tabor Machine Incline Vibratory Screens. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif You could do some sifting with those!