Drainage ditch using a MB/SS.

/ Drainage ditch using a MB/SS. #1  

RxRatedZ71

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3203
We had a strong thunderstorm drop 8+" of rain back in May and it caused our creek crossing under our driveway to flood. Our downstream side of ourtin horn's wingwall also started to erode away. I realized that we are getting all of our neighbors water off his land, onto ours and down our driveway, into the creek, then back across his part of the creek. Ive decided to cut a drainage ditch along the side our our proporty to contain and channel the water into the creek and avoid the driveway entirely. I got a quote from a dozer guy for 2 machines for a day for $1800 then the price of rock for check dams and bank erosion control.

Ive decided to conquer this with my tractor on my own. Our Dave Ramsey budget plan didnt allow for the other option. So I bought a middlebuster yesterday and plan to make it into a subsoiler as well.

ForumRunner_20130718_093042.png

/ Drainage ditch using a MB/SS.
Ive got to find a shank for the subsoiler tip (or make one). Any suggestions? I called the mfc to see if their SS shank would fit but the MB angle is different and the tip is $30+.

/ Drainage ditch using a MB/SS. #3  
AgriSupply.com carries all kinds of tips and points. Prices seem very reasonable.

Good point. Ive used them before for mower blades and chemicals. Great place and friendly people. Thanks for reminding me.

/ Drainage ditch using a MB/SS. #5  
I switched a similar plow from MB to SS a while back, since I had access to a used chisel point, and it worked just fine. I had no idea there were different angles involved. Ignorance is bliss, I guess.:2cents: Might be worth giving it a try.................

I thought about just cutting a tip from some 2" flat strap from TSC. I thought 1/2" might be thick enough. I know it probably wont last as long as a hardened tip but its only $12 for a 3 foot piece and I only need 8" for each tip. It more or less just bolts over the angled tip of the frame and protects it. They are ordering a potential tip for $38...we will see.

I made some good progress with the box blade pitched down on one side. Once the phone guy came out and laid a temp line I really began to make some progress.

Well the point didnt fit so I just bought some 3/8" flat bar and cut a point for myself.

ForumRunner_20130725_080545.png

ForumRunner_20130725_080628.png

Here is a pic of some progress. I tried the middle buster which performed great. I had to modify my SS point b/c it didnt extend far enough beyond the base of the frame. When lowered, it just sat on the surface rather penetrate the ground. I just drilled a hole close to the end amd spun the point around, thus allowing about 1.5-2" to hamg over. Now it works great. I think im going to weld some sort of wedge onto the main support to cut better with less disturbance.

ForumRunner_20130725_082758.png

/ Drainage ditch using a MB/SS. #9  
Looks great. Thank you for this thread as I have this issue times four and had never heard of or seen a "middlebuster". Jim

/ Drainage ditch using a MB/SS. #10  
this spring when the lawn was soft I just used my FEL and did the same thing
I got with the neighbor and we started in his yard and ended in mine by the front ditch that runs under the road and into a good size creek
the last few years it would be middle of June before I could cut the grass in that area now 2 days after 2" of rain I'm in there cutting
made all the difference in the world

I do need to get some rock in there to keep erosion down
does anyone have suggestions what would be best to use

Thanks in advance