Firepit Bench project

/ Firepit Bench project #11  
Great idea, looks awesome. Don't let the fire get too close to the bench, though.....:laughing:

/ Firepit Bench project
So I have yet to put legs (cedar rounds) on any of the bench ideas I have for the moment. More because I haven't fully decided where to put them..

But as an update, two more things have happened. I picked up a electric planer from CPO. A nice bosch for under $100. ran it across the wood and wow, that works. A bit tedious as it is 3.5" increments but it gets the job done. I will hit it with the belt sander to finish then stain / seal

This poses a question, anyone have suggestions about what to use? I am also mulling not using anything, So what if they rot in 20 years, I will be rotting as well. They are made out of Big Leaf Maple or cedar. I know the cedar will last, not so sure about the maple.

As an expirement, I cut a log that was rotted out on one side in what they call a diagonal slab. Conclusions are that it works, the grain really becomes interesting, but you need grainier wood than maple. Also, i think a more sever cut, thus a much wider / longer log would be ideal. But I could see this making a stunning table top...

I think I am going to make this into a bench with a back.

Attachments

• IMG_20130724_110417_063.jpg
    IMG_20130724_110417_063.jpg
    811.3 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_20130724_113239_955.jpg
    IMG_20130724_113239_955.jpg
    705.3 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_20130724_113752_260.jpg
    IMG_20130724_113752_260.jpg
    783.5 KB · Views: 217
   / Firepit Bench project #13  
So, how did you cut a curve with the Alaskan Mill? I assume cut, reposition, cut, reposition, etc.
Any pic's?
Cool idea. Thanks for posting it.

/ Firepit Bench project #14  
Pulled a bent cedar over the other day. Was getting ready to turn it into firewood and then it hit me to try and slab it with the Alaskan mill. Learned a lot, will be better the next time.

Now just working on getting some "feet" under it, v cut rounds from another part of the tree will work.

That'll make a great bench and a great conversation piece all at the same time...cool

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet

/ Firepit Bench project #15  
I concur with the awesome statement :thumbsup:

/ Firepit Bench project
As the pictures, I use the aluminum ladder for the first cut. It works, more flexible than I wish or thought it would be but it works. For the cedar, yes i repositioned the ladder halfway through. I would NOT do it that way again. Instead I would use 2X8 and some blocking / bracing and make a sled that way. when I twisted the ladder, even with my best laid plans, it really fell apart.

/ Firepit Bench project #17  
big rock 3.jpg

Your bench may be a little softer than mine. :laughing:

/ Firepit Bench project #18  
How about just clear deck sealer?

You could use spar varnish cut by half.. would soak in good but still have that 'natural' feel. 2 coats.

/ Firepit Bench project #19  
Years ago, i saw an article about some test done on wood siding/structures. I believe it was done by the USFS. Rain and sun are the problem, with sun being the bigger issue because of the ultra violet breaking down the proteins/lignin causing cracking which let moisture in which caused the wood to crack...so on, the best thing they found was a mixture of spar varnish, paraffin and a solvent of some sort to carry the spar varnish and paraffin. The very best was to soak the lumber for many days but brushing on numerous times was good too. I sounded as though it soaked in and wasn't sticky or anything like that.

/ Firepit Bench project #20  
I have made some sealers with mineral spirits, beeswax and linseed oil, mixed in a double boiler it does soak in but my worry about using something like this is the heat next to the fire, will it make the waxes run again.