Tip - Portable 110 power with out a generator - useful tool

/ Tip - Portable 110 power with out a generator - useful tool #11  
Wait...

Someone actually has a Black and Decker Alligator?

Hows it work?

/ Tip - Portable 110 power with out a generator - useful tool
Step up to the Honda 2000eu and you will be amazed. They are pricey at around $900-950 if you look around, but they are very quiet, and still less than an inverter and all those batteries.

If you have a second use for them, they are easy to justify. For instance I spend 2 weeks camping in the woods during deer season, and another 5 days during elk season. One of them will power a electric coffee pot, and then a microwave later on. Get the coffee pot with a thermal carafe, and you are in business.

The best part is no battery recharging. After hunting, we run camp lights for 3 trailers and a tent with one, and it makes for great evenings.

I have 2 generators but not a Honda 2000. If I was going to buy another gasoline generator that is the one I would buy. After the last hurricane I am not a big fan of gasoline powered generators period.

I have a portable 4000 watt propane generator that I really like.
With a propane generator you can put it away in your store room with some propane bottles and
5 years later it will still be ready to go. The Honda's are real fuel efficient but if you can't buy gas or have to wait hours for 5 gallons , not really worth it.

Someone actually has a Black and Decker Alligator?
How does it work ?

It is by far my favorite tool for cutting a walking trail through heavy saplings and vines. It is the only tool I have found that can easily cut both vines or a 6 inch sapling. It makes short work of low hanging limbs. I am sure there are other tools out there but I have used it for the last 4 years along with the power pack to clear trails through pine cutover and it does a great job for me.

I'm with the others that would prefer a small inverter type generator. Not any larger or heavier than a auto battery and power inverter. Plus these provide true sine wave AC and not the typ modified since wave, i.e. stepped sq wave of the battery powered inverters.

While I can't knock the Honda's, there are a number of other companies that offer similar models at a lower cost. And for the thrifty buyers, one can usually find a used one that is in good condition for about a third to half the price of a new model.

I have a 1kW Kipor inverter generator and one of its uses is for the same kinds of chores as our original poster and their battery powered inverter.

I agree with the true sine wave power and the 1 KW being okay for some uses. Not sure 100O KW would be enough for the power loppers they pull a lot of amps. I know it is not enough for some circular saws and might not be enough for some air compressors.
The big problem I have with using a portable generator for cutting trails would be starting and stopping the generator as needed. I might only need the power for a minute or 2 while cutting.
Then I have to clean the debris out of the way. This can take some time.
So you either have to leave the generator running and burn more fuel and listen to the noise or stop it and start it as needed.
With the power pack it just stays on and never makes a sound <grin>

/ Tip - Portable 110 power with out a generator - useful tool #15  
I have 2 generators but not a Honda 2000. If I was going to buy another gasoline generator that is the one I would buy. After the last hurricane I am not a big fan of gasoline powered generators period.

I have a portable 4000 watt propane generator that I really like.
With a propane generator you can put it away in your store room with some propane bottles and
5 years later it will still be ready to go. The Honda's are real fuel efficient but if you can't buy gas or have to wait hours for 5 gallons , not really worth it.

While I agree that propane stores well, I buy non-ethanol premium, and put a triple dose of Stabil in the can before I fill it. I usually have 10-15 gallons on hand, and the Stabil keeps it fresh for years.

If I have to tap the tank on a car, I can do it, and in a pinch that will power the generator.

I have other generators also, but the one I used for most remote power needs is the Honda.

/ Tip - Portable 110 power with out a generator - useful tool #16  
While I agree that propane stores well, I buy non-ethanol premium, and put a triple dose of Stabil in the can before I fill it. I usually have 10-15 gallons on hand, and the Stabil keeps it fresh for years.

If I have to tap the tank on a car, I can do it, and in a pinch that will power the generator.

I have other generators also, but the one I used for most remote power needs is the Honda.

I buy Non E gas and just rotate it every year. I dont keep as much as i should onhand but i dont live in an ice prone area or a hurricane prone area. I keep the genny full usually (5 gallons) and run the carb dry with the cut off. that has kept me going for several years now without fail.

I have a 5kw coleman (i think) genny with a briggs motor. Its loud as all get out, but in the house you dont really notice it.

As for the fuel supply, i to have multiple vehicles. I have 4 vehicles and most are bound to have a good bit of fuel in them. i use to keep the old chevy full but i drive it so rarely i dont much anymore. But full it will hold 32 gallons!!! I also have 2 boats that are pretty full. One holds 12 gallons and is usually half full. Its premix but i would burn it if necessary. The other boat is 24 galons and usually has half that or better in it.

As for cutting vines and 4" sapplings, i just take the small chain saw.

Man you guys are fortunate to be able to find non-ethanol gas. Very rarely is it available in this area . I hate the ethanol gas even with stabilizer I have trouble with lawn mowers and power equipment.
Never had so many problems before the ethanol. My Dad has got me hooked on using octane boost in my lawn mowers this season and it has helped.

As for cutting vines and 4" sapplings, i just take the small chain saw.

They actually say in the instructions for the loppers that they should not be used for cutting down small tress. But the heck with that, they work great. I think it is a safety issue because when you use them the cut is flat not angled so a small tree can fall in any direction. The ones I cut usually are wrapped in vines anyway so they don't fall much at all. Also you can cut It at almost ground level with no problem at all and it is a lot safer than a chainsaw . Since you have to use both hands and it actually grips around the tree the chain is not so exposed.