The bridge

/ The bridge #1  

andrehoude123

Silver Member
Im looking to make a bridge to cross a little creek at the camp need to build up the banks a good 6 feet so set my bridge on at a nice height so that the angle to get on the bridge isent to step I was thinking of making my 2 walls with big stones because wood rots to fast I have look of trees and a friend with a saw mill so I can get pretty much anything milled so I was thinking what's the best kinda wood to use I have about a 15 foot span I want to be able to cross the 4 wheelers and the side by side and even better it would be nice if I could bring across the maverick so I you guys have any experience with this I would like to know how big of beams and what size of decking and how much I need to got inwards with my retaining wall as I go up like 1 foot in for 2 feet up?

Thanks!!

/ The bridge #2  
There are several threads at TBN discussing this topic. Use the TBN Search function, enter "bridge" as a keyword and select "Search Titles Only"

/ The bridge #3  
I would look for some White Oak, Clear in 3x12's to the length you need, White Oak, Red Elm, Osage Orange or maybe Locust Wood Species depends as dont know WHERE you are located at.

Span it with at least 4 beams and then add decking of 1.5" x 8" boards. The boards should all be free span away from any dirt contact but you can maybe pack some gravel around ends of the beams. The decking can be made from Pressure Treated SYP in at least 8" wide and dont have to be solid. If wanted for those sized toys going accost can span it with 8ea 2x12 Press Treated SYP be sure to use X braces or solid braces in between the planks on less than 8' spacing.

Mark

/ The bridge
Thanks guys for the replys

/ The bridge
Here's the bridge so far

image-4115899006.jpg

image-2570830793.jpg

image-3697393877.jpg

/ The bridge #6  
What are you using for the planking? I assume you had them cut for you. They look pretty substantial.

My only comment would be about bracing. I would be concerned about the logs trying to "roll" and loosening the screws through the planks. Maybe lag bolt a few planks across the bottom? Am I being paranoid?

/ The bridge
The decking was cut by a sawmill that came over and sawed for us it's 2x6 or 2x10 and for the logs rolling I will put an end plate going from one log to an other that will hold it all together That's this weekends projects

/ The bridge #8  
looks nice.

/ The bridge
Now I just need to find some more pine trees to mill up on 300 acres it's gonna be more of a challenge than building the bridge;)