40'x64'x12' Pole Barn

/ 40'x64'x12' Pole Barn #1  

RedDog

Platinum Member
Tractor
Caterpillar 277
40\'x64\'x12\' Pole Barn

My cousin and I are building this,,, (he tells me what to do, kinda like a wife /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

After a very slow start, we made quite a bit of progress this week /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

When completed it will be insulated with 5 windows, 1 walkin door, two 10' tall by 14'wide overhead doors, and one 10'x10' overhead door. I have a used automotive 2 post lift that will be going in the back corner of building.

I tried 3 local lumber yards in my area: 84 lumber, Carters, and Scott's. 84 came back quick with a detailed quote sheet, Scott's replied within 2 weeks with a very very vague description, and I am still waiting on Carters /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I also got a quote from a pole barn dealer about 50 miles away. I narrowed my choices to 84 and this dealer. Both prices were virtually identical. I ended up choosing 84 as they are only 5 miles away and I really like the guy. Any thing that I do not use I bring it back for a refund, and they bring the materials when I need them /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

He told me my overhead doors just came in, but the metal siding is still out although I'm not in need of either yet.

I highly recommend 84 lumber /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The Kioti got some use adjusting some of the post, and will use it to set the trusses /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This is the front of the building with the walkin door and window, can't see window yet, and two 10'tall by 14' wide overhead doors.
I will try to keep updating with pictures.

RedDog <font color="orange"> Kioti DK65 </font>

Attachments

• 316424-Front.JPG
    316424-Front.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,761
   / 40'x64'x12' Pole Barn
Re: 40\'x64\'x12\' Pole Barn

Another shot of the front. The front faces the East.

Attachments

• 316425-Right Front.JPG
    316425-Right Front.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 1,079
   / 40'x64'x12' Pole Barn

This is the South side. It will have one window in it.

Attachments

• 316426-South Side.JPG
    316426-South Side.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 734
   / 40'x64'x12' Pole Barn

This is the back side. It will have 2 windows. This side faces the West.

Attachments

• 316427-Back.JPG
    316427-Back.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 673
   / 40'x64'x12' Pole Barn

This is the North side. It has 1 window and a 10'x10' overhead door.

RedDog <font color="orange">Kioti DK65 </font>

Attachments

• 316429-North Side.JPG
    316429-North Side.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 592
   / 40'x64'x12' Pole Barn #6  

Would you mind sharing what kind of foundation you set for the barn? I'm considering building one, and don't particularly want to set in a 4' deep frost wall (like is done for real buildings here in Massachusetts).

/ 40'x64'x12' Pole Barn

Bebster,

I had a dozer come in and level out a spot. Soil looks like bank run. The dozer piled up all the dirt in one spot for me to use later.

My holes are all about 36" to 42" deep with concrete in the bottom. Set the 6x6 post in them, filled with dirt/bank run and stomped down. I attached "lock blocks" to the bottom of the 6x6's to help keep them locked in the ground.

/ 40'x64'x12' Pole Barn #8  

I prefer having one long wall facing north cause the light is so handy. My Dad's barn had a workbench facing the windowed north wall and that's where I took everything salvagable from my culvert modified '48 Merc and put them on my '35 3 window coupe. Now that we've lived in the new house for 7 years, my wife is beginnig to understand having the kitchen facing east and the tv room facing west was a mistake. Other than that I like your barn so far, but hope your trusses don't warp while waiting for use.

/ 40'x64'x12' Pole Barn #9  

I am having a 42' x 56' x 12'-8" high pole barn built right now also. It is just about done. Cleary is doing it. They now are over a month late, lost their foreman, and have young boys right out of high school building it.

I had to rent a backhoe to dig out all but one of the holes. They bent their auger bit. A bigger firm does not mean better resources or quality of construction.

We hope to be "done" this week.

Yooper Dave

/ 40'x64'x12' Pole Barn #10  

I am currently building a shop 32x40. I went with steel. Steel is proving to be alot cheaper. I am using trusess similar to adams web trusses. The shell of the building not including concrete will be approx $2200 for steel and steel trusses. My trusses was $1400 for 5. When erected the truss system makes skeleton of your building. Run your steel purlings and laths, I am using 2x4" steel tubing for this. Next will be tin. One of the post wanted to build without a 4 ft concrete frost wall, check into using a rubble trench foundation. Works well in cold climates.