CULVERT PACKED WITH SAND

/ CULVERT PACKED WITH SAND #1  

Brimfield

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L 3800
I am fixing drainage issues on my driveway and I dug up the entrance and exit of an old culvert underneath our paved driveway. It is packed solid with sand. It is too far from our house to get a hose up to it and flush it. I am debating getting threaded rod to push the sand out. I do not have any access to power up there so renting a power auger is out. This culvert is only used a few times a year when we get hard rain and a spring pops up but it moves a huge amount of water away from our ditch that runs another 800 feet to a large culvert. I plan to dig deeper around the entrance so that sand will not clog it .

/ CULVERT PACKED WITH SAND #2  
What about a gas powered auger? There's a couple types of manual t-handle post hole augers as well, some with a spiral twist like an icefishing auger, and some with a pair of curved sides that meet at the bottom. This latter style uses pipe for the upright section of the handle, so if you need a longer handle you just unthread the head and add in a union and another length of pipe.
21-jjQMnrGL__SY450_.jpg
My whole lot is basically sand, and while it will stop on egg- to fist-sized rocks, I much prefer it to the two-handle types (I still have to resort to those sometimes if I can't get a rock out with the other).

/ CULVERT PACKED WITH SAND #3  
I know you areb't going to like it, but it is tried and true, before VacCon trucks became common. Take a shovel head, weld a 3/4" x 10 ft piece of steel sch-40 pipe on as handle. Thread a 3/4" coupling on the end. Dig till you can't reach, then thread a second piece if 3/4" x 10 ft pipe into coupler. It takes a bit of time and is Hard work. Another option, if you have water at the location is a piece of 3/4" PVC pipe on end of garden hose, working from down stream side, slowly jetting it out.n

/ CULVERT PACKED WITH SAND #4  
Call around to a couple plumbing places and find the cheapest jetter rate or maybe rent one.

/ CULVERT PACKED WITH SAND #5  
$55 for a 300 gallon tank (ie: IBC Tote such as 275 gallon Totes), $40 for a rental trash pump, $20 in fittings to reduce the trash pump output to garden hose size and an hour should let you jet it out from the downstream side.
Alternatively, if you have access to power out there (either extension cords or a generator), you can pickup a used pool pump on Craigslist for $40 or less.

Aaron Z

/ CULVERT PACKED WITH SAND #6  
I've heard of people getting the local volunteer fire department to blast them out for a small donation.

MarkV

/ CULVERT PACKED WITH SAND
I know you areb't going to like it, but it is tried and true, before VacCon trucks became common. Take a shovel head, weld a 3/4" x 10 ft piece of steel sch-40 pipe on as handle. Thread a 3/4" coupling on the end. Dig till you can't reach, then thread a second piece if 3/4" x 10 ft pipe into coupler. It takes a bit of time and is Hard work. Another option, if you have water at the location is a piece of 3/4" PVC pipe on end of garden hose, working from down stream side, slowly jetting it out.n

Well thats better than my threaded rod idea. It's a 4 in culvert so I am going to get a trowel and weld that on. I might play with other stuff but the trowel is going to win in the end.

/ CULVERT PACKED WITH SAND
Well I came across an ice auger in a scrap pile. I cut the handle off and welded it to a 4' piece of 1" schedule 40. I added another 4' piece with a coupler and used a tee with 2 1' pieces for a handle. It works like a charm. I just need to back out to clear sand every now and then. Perfect for the small culvert

Attachments

• IMG_1046.jpg
    IMG_1046.jpg
    618.2 KB · Views: 446
  • IMG_1051.jpg
    IMG_1051.jpg
    485.1 KB · Views: 1,095
   / CULVERT PACKED WITH SAND #9  
Awesome, glad you found something that works.

/ CULVERT PACKED WITH SAND #10  
Its gonna keep getting clogged up since its only a 4 inch pipe. It sounds like you have the volume of water to run thru it, but not the velocity to keep it clear. your choices here for long term fix is: 1. upgrade it to a larger culvert size 2. do away with pipe since its only a 4 inch and use a box with a removable top so you can clear it with a hand shovel 3. dig a large silt pond before the water goes into the culvert 4. or just keep what you are doing since you already created a cool tool to clean it out yearly.