Poor man's side by side

/ Poor man's side by side #1  

NS Gearhead

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere X350
I sure would love a new Rzr 1000, but at $23K it's about $20K more then I could ever afford. LOL

So started with a $500 1997 Tracker

Thought I'd sell some un-needed parts on kijiji to recoup some cash, but even with resonable prices didn't sell a thing. Momma's not too happy as I used that in my argument to get it. LOL

Day 1; top, spare tire/ gate, doors, winchield, bumpers, and carpet removed.

I ripped the muffler off and tore the downpipe on the first rock I drove over, so those were removed as well. She's open header and way too loud. I'm going to try to re-instal the muffler using the parts I removed. On the plus side it seems to have more pep then it did so the cat was probably plugged. That and 4x4 doesn't work. The driver's side hub clicks when it's time to turn the tire so I have to remedy that.... and obviously it could use some bumpers and rockers wich I'll replace with some rock sliders.

The plan (for now) is a 3" lift and 31" tires. Keep it open and light. May weld the rear end. I'd like to re-gear the T-case, but that's pretty big money for a budget beater. We'll see.

/ Poor man's side by side #2  
LOL - Been there. I used a 2001 Kia Sportage. You wanna talk reliable ... this thing was the bomb. With 235K miles it still ran like a top!

Unfortunately, driving through the hay fields for several years finally took its toll. The KIA suffered a M A S S I V E combination mechanical and electrical failure as I was cruising down the road. Just wasn't worth the cost to try and get it going again, so opted for a real UTV at $10K.

/ Poor man's side by side #3  
nice project, I did think of this idea myself instead of an expensive side by side but ended up with a couple of quads instead. Good luck with the mods and repairs:thumbsup:

/ Poor man's side by side #4  
You are having low-cost fun, that's the main thing. :)

The prices on side-by-sides and UTV's are crazy unless you have a real need for them, which I don't. They are getting so fancy its like they are re-inventing a Samuri or Tracker anyways.

/ Poor man's side by side #5  
Looks like fun, I would like a Razor also, but the prices are crazy.

Dave

/ Poor man's side by side #6  
Looks like fun, I would like a Razor also, but the prices are crazy.

Dave

/ Poor man's side by side
Forgot to say; this all started with wanting to build a 2 seater go kart so I'll be able to bring my daughter around the trail/ track once it's done. When I started adding up the parts I quickly realized this would be way cheaper and 4wd! Currently looking around for wore out mud tires I can re-groove, and found some manual hubs for $40!

/ Poor man's side by side #8  
I agree with the same ideas, I bought a 1990 Nissan Pathfinder, had a bad lower strut rid and needed all new brake lines 62K miles on it for 1K. Fixed a few things and drive it on-road for 2 years when fuel pump quit (turned out to be bad wires to pump.) had to have it towed home which blew out the steering box seal so parked it with 70K on it all new tires stiff full of air one day I'll maybe resurrect it as a woods beater side-by-side as no way I'd pay more than 2 or 3 k for one lol...

Mark

/ Poor man's side by side #9  
I've got an 03 tracker and someday it will be my 130 hp, 90 mph, 5 seater side by side... It needs a skid plate and some bigger tires to really go off road. But for general farm duty it does a good job now and I have it plated to drive on the highway!

/ Poor man's side by side #10  
Instead of welding the dif, I'd install dual emergency brake cables and levers like we used to in dune buggys.... That way you can still drive on the grass or hard surfaces.