Liquid Fertilizer Questions?? Tillage...

/ Liquid Fertilizer Questions?? Tillage... #1  

SanDucerro

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040 - L3130 - ZD326S
How long AFTER the application of a liquid fetilizer can the pasture be tilled (disc harrow)? Is there a "rust" issue for the disc harrow if done too soon? Is it better to disc BEFORE the application?

Liquid Fertilizer in this case is 20-20-10-10 (Nitrate/Phosphorus/Potassium/Sulfur) with a bit of copper added to the mix.

We also have a very good outlook for rain all week long, so the fertilizer will likely see a shower or two soon after it is applied.

/ Liquid Fertilizer Questions?? Tillage... #2  
What are we putting fertilizer on? What we discing for? Just need an idea what trying to achieve.

/ Liquid Fertilizer Questions?? Tillage...
Application is for a late planting of grape vines. Due to issues at the nursery, the vines are not being delivered until the first week in October. They have been growing all summer at the nursery though. The vines were ready for delivery in Late June, but it was just to hot to take a chance then - so I let the nursery "nurse" them through the summer heat. Now it's my turn...

The pasture was plowed and disced in prep for the vines this spring. When they didn't arrive on schedule the vineyard was left on it's own. Some of the grasses returned and alot of weeds popped up (especially Woolly Corton). I've got the vineyard/pasture shredded once again, but I'd like to disc before I drop the vines and then plant a cover crop (Crimson Clover) between the rows. Hence the questions...

Thanks!

/ Liquid Fertilizer Questions?? Tillage... #4  
I usually throw the dry fertilizer out when I do my seed for fall plots. If I'm putting out liquid I allow it to come up first then spray.

The liquid fertilizer is being mixed by the local Simplot dealer to fit recommendations from an A&M soil test I had done. The Simplot dealer will be applying it as well. At $75 for the application charge I figure it's a no brainer, but I don't want them in the vineyard once the vines are in (BIG tires vs little vines). Future applications would be through the drip irrigation system, so it won't be a problem later on - just now....

/ Liquid Fertilizer Questions?? Tillage... #7  
Then I guess if you spray first then turn it under would seem like thing to do (do you have couple days after to let it set before disc?)but I'm just giving my 2cents. I always wash everything when I'm done spraying any chemical.

@ Dave - Thanks for the article! I've saved it and will study it in depth. I'm hopeful that by doing the whole vineyard/pasture area that I'll also get some bang for the buck with the native grasses - which are being left alone in the tractor turn arounds at the end of the vineyard rows. It's my understanding that well fertilized grasses would crowd out the weeds. Is that wishful thinking in your experience?

@ foreman - I'm leaning this way - just need to make sure to wash everything several times over. I've got about 10 days after they apply the fetilizer until I have to disc.

/ Liquid Fertilizer Questions?? Tillage... #9  
I know around here you turn the ground the weeds will come,lol.