The wood lot

/ The wood lot #1  

Green Acres Homestead

Veteran Member
NewBrunswick & Nova Scotia www.lostcaper.com
Tractor
Kubota L4740 sold now have a new L2502 as off Jan 2023
At age 14 my father gave me my first power saw. Since then I spent many enjoyable days and at age 51 it is still my hobby. Having a nice tractor and a walking beam dump trailer certainly makes it even more enjoyable. Anybody else have the same addiction. Would be interested in seeing you operation and discuss wood lot management.

Attachments

• image-678703196.jpg
    image-678703196.jpg
    533.7 KB · Views: 1,175
  • image-3863340438.jpg
    image-3863340438.jpg
    592.4 KB · Views: 1,337
  • image-2665731584.jpg
    image-2665731584.jpg
    577.7 KB · Views: 1,320
   / The wood lot #2  
Just seen your thread. I think that I have the same saw as yours. I bought it last year, it was rusty and dull. After a little work to clean it up, I sharpened the blade and put some set on the teeth. Last spring I junked 6 cords of firewood with no problem.The only thing that I did since is put a guage, and gave it a new coat of paint. At one time it ran with a belt, whoever changed it knew what he was doig. He put a rear end of a car to the output shaft. The tractor turns at 1250RPM, the saw turns around 1300RPM. Do you have a name or a model No on yours? Will send pics as soon as I figure how. Thanks

/ The wood lot
Just seen your thread. I think that I have the same saw as yours. I bought it last year, it was rusty and dull. After a little work to clean it up, I sharpened the blade and put some set on the teeth. Last spring I junked 6 cords of firewood with no problem.The only thing that I did since is put a guage, and gave it a new coat of paint. At one time it ran with a belt, whoever changed it knew what he was doig. He put a rear end of a car to the output shaft. The tractor turns at 1250RPM, the saw turns around 1300RPM. Do you have a name or a model No on yours? Will send pics as soon as I figure how. Thanks

Do not see any label. Rusted and painted over many times. Been collecting stuff since I was 14. I am 51 now. Due to health I do not get to use my stuff much. Not even sure when I bought this piece. Perhaps someday I will get to spend a few hours with it again.

/ The wood lot #4  
I've got a 1986 Kubota L2250 with 2270 hrs on it,never had it the shop, except for routine maintenance, oil change, filters, etc. Changing system let go a few years after I bought her, retrofited a 37 amp Delco alternator, works fine. Got a Farmi JL290 winch, saves a lot of backbreaking work. I cut the trees down, limb some branches off, and haul to a pile. When I get roughly 5 cords, I'll go up with the cordsaw and junk it, after I'll split with the hydrolic splitter and pile on pallets. I will cover with plastic on top,will leave to dry for 7 to 8 months.My wood is 80% maple with the remaining being poplar and spruce and grey birch.

/ The wood lot #5  
I'm only 16 my dad gave me the little ms180 and I Kubota l45 to go play in the woods with and every weekend when we go up to the camp I can't wait to work out in the woods it's so fun I wish I could just move up there full time an do that!

/ The wood lot #6  
It is fun, but make sure to take your time and be careful, remember that an accident in the woods usually take time to mend.

/ The wood lot #7  
I'm trying to send you a pic of my woodcutter, don't know if it's going to work...IMG_0059.jpg

/ The wood lot #9  
When I use the saw, I always use my helmet with visor and earmuff. It works very well and it's not back breaking like junking with the chainsaw. When that pic was taken, I hadn't put a gauge, now it's on the left side of the saw and I can set it for 16 to 20 inches.

/ The wood lot
I'm only 16 my dad gave me the little ms180 and I Kubota l45 to go play in the woods with and every weekend when we go up to the camp I can't wait to work out in the woods it's so fun I wish I could just move up there full time an do that!

Once you love this work you will always love it. You build up an endurance to the flies, heat, cold. Etc. My father worked in the woods until he was 85 years old because he build up the endurance his entire life. I worked in the office for 28 years and I can say working in the woods on your own property is the most enjoyable job there is. Just be careful. I worked beside my father for 2 years before he let me go on my own. It can be danagerous.