How to restore / clean old timbers?

/ How to restore / clean old timbers? #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
I have 10 or so very old timbers 20 footers or so from around 1890. What is the best way to clean and prep them for using in my new homes man cave? They are hand hewed too. I just had them heat treated to kill bugs inside.

Thank you

/ How to restore / clean old timbers? #2  
Since it appears they will live indoors I wouldn't do anything except soapy water and elbow grease to remove dirt and dust.

/ How to restore / clean old timbers?
Since it appears they will live indoors I wouldn't do anything except soapy water and elbow grease to remove dirt and dust.

Well thats kinda what I was thinking but since Im new at this stuff wanted to be sure before I move forward.

/ How to restore / clean old timbers? #4  
Sure, it never hurts to ask. Since they'll be high and dry you won't have to worry about fungus such as dry rot, which despite its name requires a high moister content in the wood. (Something like 18-20% moisture iirc)

Considering their age and the fact that you had them heat treated you should be well bellow that.

/ How to restore / clean old timbers? #5  
Are you satisfied with the color?... Have they been stained?...you did not say what kind of wood the timbers were?

What exactly is that you want to "clean" off and "restore"?

/ How to restore / clean old timbers? #6  
Are you satisfied with the color?... Have they been stained?...you did not say what kind of wood the timbers were?

What exactly is that you want to "clean" off and "restore"?

Exactly what I was thinking... If there are barn beams and have old barn leftovers and you want NEW looking wood then you can sandblast them lightly to bring out a like new wood look. Don't pressure wash them as it will lift fibers and drive off the treatment. What type of treatment did you have done to them>??

Mark

/ How to restore / clean old timbers?
Just had them heated up to 160F internal temp for 36 hours to kill any bugs inside the wood. Thats it. I would like to knock off some dirt in few places to spruce them up a bit. Don't want to loose the antique look though.

/ How to restore / clean old timbers? #8  
Soap, water and a brush. Pressure washer as long as the nozzle does not get close.

Get it wet and leave sit for a while so the dirt gets a chance to loosen up. Then go to work on it.:)

/ How to restore / clean old timbers? #9  
Soap, water and a brush. Pressure washer as long as the nozzle does not get close.

Get it wet and leave sit for a while so the dirt gets a chance to loosen up. Then go to work on it.:)

I agree with this

/ How to restore / clean old timbers? #10  
...I would like to knock off some dirt in few places to spruce them up a bit.

Whisk broom...!