80 Acres- Eagle Creek, Oregon

/ 80 Acres- Eagle Creek, Oregon #61  
Love seeing your progress. I would find out exactly how much difference the 3 phase would cost. Around here if you want to bring in 3 phase after you already have single phase, they charge according to how far the closest 3 phase is available. I've heard of estimates well over 10 grand to get it from a quarter mile away. So if you can get it for just adding an additional wire in your conduit, I'd reconsider. If you ever have a big shop or barn, big grinders, lathes, mills etc use it. I think you can even get 3 phase HVAC that might use less electricity.

Are you going to sell some of the equipment when you are done building out the land? Or do you think you'll need it for as long as you own it?

/ 80 Acres- Eagle Creek, Oregon #62  
Unless you are going to be running a commercial machine shop you really have no need to have three phase. For most it would be just a huge waste of money.

I paid $15,000 for 1/4 mile of 100 amp above ground single phase service. That was a total of five posts.

/ 80 Acres- Eagle Creek, Oregon
It's been awhile but I did make some progress while I was gone. I took months just to get PGE to finish up the plans. I went with 320A single phase service underground, a total of 4 pull vaults and a pad with one extra run of conduit. 2 of the pull vaults can be branched off of in the future. Total distance was 2500' and a price tag of 37K. The wire and transformer were 18 and because I wanted it dug in before I got home I went with a contractor, so that was another 19 for excavation, vaults and conduit. They are already finished with the install and I had my girlfriend get some pictures. So my first project is to get the drive way straightened up and put gravel down so PGE can come in and pull the wire and set the transformer and hook up temporary power. The contractor got ahold of the phone company to see if they wanted to put anything in the trench but they claimed the existing line was put in not long ago and when he got close to or crossed it he seen that they actually ran extra conduit with the direct buried phone line.

Attachments

• DSC00991.jpg
    DSC00991.jpg
    757.5 KB · Views: 221
  • DSC00995.jpg
    DSC00995.jpg
    807.4 KB · Views: 187
  • DSC00993.jpg
    DSC00993.jpg
    601.4 KB · Views: 229
  • DSC01002.jpg
    DSC01002.jpg
    788.4 KB · Views: 169
  • DSC01006.jpg
    DSC01006.jpg
    961.1 KB · Views: 198
  • DSC01008.jpg
    DSC01008.jpg
    773 KB · Views: 177
  • DSC01009.jpg
    DSC01009.jpg
    851 KB · Views: 182
  • DSC01013.jpg
    DSC01013.jpg
    767 KB · Views: 191
  • DSC01014.jpg
    DSC01014.jpg
    479.4 KB · Views: 212
   / 80 Acres- Eagle Creek, Oregon #64  
Looks like you are all set...

As much as I like to keep expenses to a minimum... this should be a once and done.

Thanks for posting the pictures...

/ 80 Acres- Eagle Creek, Oregon #65  
would solar have not been cheaper with a deisel gen set for big stuff when needed???

/ 80 Acres- Eagle Creek, Oregon #67  
would solar have not been cheaper with a deisel gen set for big stuff when needed???

for the price (37K) plus the monthly charges I would have also gone a larger solar instal and 3phase 15KVA propane or diesel generator... yes a bit of monthly maintenance but for half a years wages on top of a large monthly fee...

M

for the price (37K) plus the monthly charges I would have also gone a larger solar instal and 3phase 15KVA propane or diesel generator... yes a bit of monthly maintenance but for half a years wages on top of a large monthly fee...

M

PGE came in and pulled the wire so we now have power. Keep in mind that I commercial fish for a living so I am gone 7-8 months a year, my wife is a city girl (that's where we live now) and it was hard enough to get her to move out there. I do have plans for a back up generator wired to the house in the event of a prolonged power outage. There was little hope she would agree to move out there with the idea that she could suddenly be in the dark for hours or days and I'm at sea, especially now that the game camera's are coming back with pictures of Bear and Cougars on them.
IMG_0243.jpg

I could always add solar after the house and shop are built, but there was no way I am going to spend a year of hard work, fuel for the equipment, pulling stumps, grading, 2500' of gravel and after everything is built, asphalt - to dig it up. I know that's how the govt and city's like to operate - spend the money paving a street just to have someone come in a week later and tear it up putting in a new sewer line.

I'm going to be putting down the rest of the gravel in the next week or two, new pics soon after.

I will also mention the house alone is going to be 3800 sq ft, not sure if you can cool that much house off of solar? Our last electrical bill averaged out to 10 cents a Kwh, with the temps the last three weeks between 85-95 our air conditioner has been running steady but our electric bill was $250, not sure how that compares around the country but to me that's acceptable. What isn't acceptable is the city of Portlands water and sewer rates, over $400 for a month!! They keep raising them to pay for "bike paths" while the potholes keep getting bigger and deeper. Supposedly the water and sewer rates are supposed to pay for upkeep of the streets.

/ 80 Acres- Eagle Creek, Oregon #69  
...interesting read! We're just starting out on 32 acres and I'm at the solar/power grid cross-roads. Local utility wants 25k to go 1300 feet. Looking in depth at solar now. I just don't have an "extra" 25k lying around!

Love seeing your progress. I would find out exactly how much difference the 3 phase would cost. Around here if you want to bring in 3 phase after you already have single phase, they charge according to how far the closest 3 phase is available. I've heard of estimates well over 10 grand to get it from a quarter mile away. So if you can get it for just adding an additional wire in your conduit, I'd reconsider. If you ever have a big shop or barn, big grinders, lathes, mills etc use it. I think you can even get 3 phase HVAC that might use less electricity.

Are you going to sell some of the equipment when you are done building out the land? Or do you think you'll need it for as long as you own it?

Doing a little catch up and realized you asked a question. I'll end up keeping everything. There are plans for a motocross track and a offroad loop so i'll need them to build and maintain it. Out of everything, the excavator gets the most use and I can see having a constant need for it for at least the next 5-10 years, might even end up upgrading at some point.