80 Acres- Eagle Creek, Oregon

/ 80 Acres- Eagle Creek, Oregon #1  

NWOutlawMX

Bronze Member
Tractor
2013 John Deere 3038e, International TD8E, Kobelco SK120, 2007 Case JX1090U, 86 International Dumptruck
We purchased 80 acres and finally signed the papers in June. The property has a house on it for the building rights only, it is uninhabitable and of no value. There is a huge amount of work to be done on the property that I will be doing most of it myself. I am a Commercial Fisherman so I have 4-5 months out of the year to concentrate and devote all my time to the project. Being as it is going to be a big project I figured I might as well keep a running account of the progress. My first order of business was to start clearing blackberries, 80% of the property is overrun with them and couldn't even drive through the gate, and get a new road back to the building sight. I ended up buying a 2013 JD 3038e with 5 ft brush hog and a brush rake for the FEL. My girlfriend has never driven a tractor before so I wanted to get something small enough and easy for her to operate but still have a decent amount of PTO hp. I knew there was going to be other bigger equipment later on so I wasn't too concerned about it being big enough. I'm very happy with the choice. Here's some pictures of the clearing of the entrance.

Attachments

• DSC00889.jpg
    DSC00889.jpg
    689.6 KB · Views: 954
  • DSC00890.jpg
    DSC00890.jpg
    705.7 KB · Views: 805
  • DSC00885.jpg
    DSC00885.jpg
    496.8 KB · Views: 858
  • DSC00894.jpg
    DSC00894.jpg
    712.9 KB · Views: 718
  • DSC00893.jpg
    DSC00893.jpg
    840.9 KB · Views: 773
   / 80 Acres- Eagle Creek, Oregon #2  
sounds like you have a lot of work/fun ahead of you. I'll bet that bucket on your tractor won't look that shiney for long. I think it was a good idea to get a tractor your girlfriend is comfortable with. My wife used my first tractor a lot and when I moved up to a bigger tractor she has never used it much.

/ 80 Acres- Eagle Creek, Oregon #3  
It looks like you are making good headway.

/ 80 Acres- Eagle Creek, Oregon #4  
My Gosh, you got your work cut out for you there.

/ 80 Acres- Eagle Creek, Oregon #5  
Good luck with all those stickers, A pain for sure.

/ 80 Acres- Eagle Creek, Oregon #6  
Congratulations on the new property and tractor! Looks like a beautiful area. In 4-5 months full time you should be able to get a lot done. Keep us posted.

/ 80 Acres- Eagle Creek, Oregon #7  
Them's some Blackberries!

GOOD LUCK. HAVE FUN.

/ 80 Acres- Eagle Creek, Oregon #8  
   / 80 Acres- Eagle Creek, Oregon #9  
Wow!! I should say you've made progress. The gate is barely visible in the picture. All I know about blackberries is the God-awful sharp thorns from picking the berries. Been thru that area(hwy 211) on my way back from trips down the Oregon coast - alternate to I-84 up the gorge.

/ 80 Acres- Eagle Creek, Oregon #10  
Keeping the berry vines under control will be a lifelong hobby! But, you have a good start.
Is that a hybrid tread design on the tractor? Clearly they aren't industrials, but the bars look closer together than on regular ag tires.
Bob