Building a Pole Barn: Step 1

/ Building a Pole Barn: Step 1 #1  

gregfender

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501 HST
So I think I have found the right plan that will fit perfect on the property and I can build myself. I think. I hope.

Over the years I have slowly increased my knowledge base and tackled larger and larger projects. However, This will be the largest one to date. I am handy with tools, can understand most blueprints, and careful about doing things right. That being said, What kinds of advice can you fine folks give me in regards to building a pole barn. Attached is the general plan for what I am wanting to build. I hope I am not getting too ambitious.

http://www.todaysplans.net/DB-Woodberry.pdf

Attachments

• Woodberry Pole Barn.pdf
    870 KB · Views: 1,125
   / Building a Pole Barn: Step 1 #2  
Is that a pole barn? Looks more like a stick built barn on a slab.

Are you going to pour a concrete floor? If so, then going with standard framing methods used to build a house is how I would build that barn.

Eddie

/ Building a Pole Barn: Step 1 #3  
Nice looking structure. It looks like a "do-able" project for one person. So many of the barns are for units that are 40' x 80' which I think would really be beyond single person projects. My only recommendation would be - be certain that the footings & foundation are adequate for the frost depths in your area. Neighbor put up pole barn - footings(sono tubes) were too shallow and seasonal frost tore his building to pieces. He isn't bragging about saving the cost of a building permit anymore!! Enjoy the project - it should be fun.

/ Building a Pole Barn: Step 1
I will be pouring a slab floor. The plans call for 6x6 posts and 2x6 girts for the most part. I was just thinking pole barn framing would be a bit easier for me since this is my first structural build. My biggest concern is when I get to the roof. There are no trusses, just 2x6 rafters attached to a 2x8 ridge beam and collar ties. I just hope I can keep the rafters square as I go.

/ Building a Pole Barn: Step 1 #5  
You know, I thought the same thing Eddie until I read portions of the plans. They talk about it being a pole barn - sure looks like a stick built structure to me also. No diff - it will be a nice structure.

/ Building a Pole Barn: Step 1 #6  
I will be pouring a slab floor. The plans call for 6x6 posts and 2x6 girts for the most part. I was just thinking pole barn framing would be a bit easier for me since this is my first structural build. My biggest concern is when I get to the roof. There are no trusses, just 2x6 rafters attached to a 2x8 ridge beam and collar ties. I just hope I can keep the rafters square as I go.

As long as you keep your posts square it will make your work that much easier when it comes to building your roof. Even with trusses you can't just slap them down and call it good.

Definitely a pole building, no doubt.

/ Building a Pole Barn: Step 1 #7  
First things first, I would start with a detailed Bill of Materials. This will help with making sure you've accounted for most if not all building materials required, quantities, etc., and will help with your budgeting. The plans look fairly straight forward and provide plenty of detail.

In order to determine the length posts you need, you first need to know what the frost line depth is in your area.

/ Building a Pole Barn: Step 1 #8  
Yep, measure, measure, measure :) Take time at every stage to make sure everything is level and plumb in all directions, and square.

For working alone especially, a rotating laser level you set up on a tripod in a central location and carry the target around, would be a real help.

/ Building a Pole Barn: Step 1 #9  
Very attractive building. The only comments I would have is that I would put overhead doors instead of the hinged/rolling doors. You can get them to look like the hinged doors. As far as do it yourself, the 12/14 roof would slow me down. I think I would bring in a contractor for that part. That's just me though. 6/12 is about as steep as I am comfortable with.

/ Building a Pole Barn: Step 1 #10  
Are you going to finish off the interior walls? Insulate the walls and roof?

The advantage of a pole barn is that it's the least expensive way to build a barn. But if you are going to finish off the inside and pour concrete, it makes more sense to build it stick frame.

Eddie