Car engine in Tractor

/ Car engine in Tractor #1  

Sheetanshu

Tractor
None
I have a Mahindra Thar. It produces 264 Nm at 1800 RPM and 105 HP at 3800 RPM. My tractors engine is blown and I was wondering if I could replace my tractor engine with this one. I'm using a Mahindra Yuvraj 15 HP tractor. Is this a suitable match ?

If some one could post some links and books where I could learn about tractor engines would also be really helpful. The concept seems a little unclear to me and I'm not able to understand the difference between normal car engines and tractor engines. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

/ Car engine in Tractor #2  
A few comments for you. The Thar engine is too powerful for your tractor. Even if you could get it to fit, which is almost impossible, the torque of the Thar engine would tear the gear box apart. The Yuvraj engine is likely a diesel and limited to 1800 rpm. the Thar engine can rotate at twice the speed.
Tractor engines are designed to produce a lot of torque, i.e. twisting force to rotate the output shaft of the engine, at low engine speeds. This torque allows the engine to respond to rapidly changing loads on the engine when working in the fields so the engine does not stall. The Thar is likely a gasoline engine designed to travel at much higher speeds than the tractor hence its ability to run at 3,800 rpm or higher.
I cannot think of books that would help you but certainly reading posts on this forum and asking questions will educate you.
Your efforts need to be on finding an exact same engine for your Yuvraj as any change in engines is very difficult to get the replacement engine to fit in the space available, to mate up to the gear box and to have a cooling system which can handle the power of the replacement engine.
Good luck.
Dave M7040

/ Car engine in Tractor
Thank you so much for the insight. I shall do as said and study up posts on the forum to whatever extent possible.
Just a few things though:
The Thar engine is a Common Rail Diesel engine. Though I probably won't try this berserk experiment and put it into my tractor. Thanks for that.
But if I were to design a tractor from scratch, would it be okay to use this Thar engine ? What's the primary differences between a car engine and an equivalent tractor's engine ? Because the max torque being produced is at a similar RPM. But one difference I see is that the GAO between torque and power peaks is much more for a car. Does that impact anything ? That, and the fact that it can go up to a higher speed. But is there something I'm missing here ?

/ Car engine in Tractor #4  
I'm not familiar with your tractor or engines, but one thought that comes to mind is that tractor engines often constitute a portion of the tractor frame. Automotive engines are supported and cradled in some type of unibody or rail frame.

I would assume there are material strength differences.

/ Car engine in Tractor #5  
I googled the Thar. The new ones look just like a Jeep Wrangler. Even with it being diesel the engine is probably not a good choice for your tractor for the reasons mentioned by others.

/ Car engine in Tractor
I googled the Thar. The new ones look just like a Jeep Wrangler. Even with it being diesel the engine is probably not a good choice for your tractor for the reasons mentioned by others.

It's exactly the same as a old Wiley's jeep.
Are these suited for tractors though ? I was thinking of building my own tractor and kinda using this engine. Will it do ?

/ Car engine in Tractor #7  
Most tractor engines are heavy slow or low RPM units, and governed to that speed, and most auto units are much higher speed units, and manually controlled,

but at times there is not a lot of difference. I took a auto engine and operate it at 1800 or 1200 rpm it would last much longer than running at 3600,

yes I am sure there is designed torque curves,

but in the 1960 Chrysler built a series of flat heads (nearly identical), a 230 cu in a 260 cu in and may be a few other sizes, but these were used as truck and car engines, and farm equipment engines, and on most any other type of equipment that need that size of engine,

they had max Rpm of up to 4000 rpm and in industrial uses usually governed to 1800 rpm.

but they were used in both high and low speed applications, in low speed, applications they were rated at a lower HP,

~~~~~~~~~~~~

just for an example tho, most older pre 1980's gas engines basically were considered wore out in 100,000 of normal miles, (which if I would put Hours on it, say travel an average of 50 mph, or about 2000 hrs of life,

a tractor was considered 6 to 10,000 hr as life so I will take 7500 hrs, or about 375,000 miles,

if the rpm are controlled and governed and one can bolt it up, and the HP curve, is similar for the RPMs, of the tracotor I do not know why it would not.

most car engine are rated at much higher HP than what a tractor would be rated, as the way it is done is not apples to apples,

I have a truck military, and it has a engine rated at over 100 hp, but if used as a tractor it has a draw bar HP about 30 draw bar. according to the manual.

so if you can get it adapted to the tractor I am sure one could use a car engine,

I have no knowledge of the units you have so I can not make a guess as if they would be compatible or not.

/ Car engine in Tractor #8  
Many years ago i had a F20 int with a 6cyl chevy engine and truck transmission the tractor tranny.It was a beast power to spare.

/ Car engine in Tractor #9  
from what I can figure the car engine is about 3 times larger 2498cc than the tractors engine, 863cc.

I NOT would to want to try it if it was mine, I think you would tear up the tractors drive train in a hurry.

most modern things are not designed with much extra,

Example, my son tore the transmission out of his pick up, Ford had a upgrade to help in that area, the gears were a 1/16" wider on the one that had been failing, from about 1" wide to 1 1/16" change for the upgrade, not much over or extra IMO.

I do not know about Mrinda, but I would think putting in 3 times more engine than the original would be way more than it was built for,

/ Car engine in Tractor #10  
car / truck engines have different camshafts than tractors/farm equipment ( reason for different power bands or torque range )
engines look the same on the outside ...

tractors breathe better at lower revs due to the cams ...

will it work ? yes, with enough money and time... will it work well ? ??????? only you will know ... after you do the work.