Pasture Grass

/ Pasture Grass #1  

JonMark

Tractor
Branson 4520
I live in the hill country of Central Texas, and just had 10 acres of land cleared and stripped of cedar to make a pasture. I want to plant a grass that will not require me to be out there shredding every 3 weeks.

I did some preliminary research and found that Texas A&M had developed a type of Bermuda grass called Cheyene. This grass is supposed to be the most drought resistant, heat tolerant, fastest germinating and dominant grass on the market today. It also is not a tall growing grass. Costly, but if it is what they claim it is, then money is no option to get it done right the first time.

Does anyone have any experience with this grass, or can anyone recommend a grass that will not require much maintainance?

Jon Mark

/ Pasture Grass #2  
I do know that bermudagrass in general is the best for the semi-arid weather in your area. Because of its tolerance to drought, it should dominate weaker grasses. I have 10 acres and have about 4 acres in bermuda, and like it. Bermuda has no tough stalks, and is a breeze to mow. The maximum height isn't nearly as tall as most grasses. The only down side to bermudagrass is its need for fertile soil.

In 2000 and 2001, we had very dry spring time and pretty dry summers too. I noticed that wild grasses on the roadsides was starting to be dominated by common bermudagrass. I thought I was in Texas. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think you'll like it. For more info, take a look on (where else!) bermudagrass.com.

/ Pasture Grass #3  
What is generally referred to as coastal burmuda does well here in N TX. I don't know if there are different varieties of it or not. However a lot of the hill country is quite a bit drier that us and the soil poorer. It may not do as well there.
I mow a 2-3 acre area around my shop every 3-4 weeks. I mow another 6-7 acres only about 3 times a year. That part I should mow at least 1 or 2 more times to keep the weeds under control. The part I mow often the grass never gets more than 6" tall. The other part may get a foot tall. However, unlike Jon Mark, when my burmuda gets that tall and is really green and growing fast, it really lugs my tractor down. I have shift into a prettly low gear to keep my rpms up.

/ Pasture Grass #4  
Jon,
I've been researching this too. I have a 3 acre horse pasture that needs renovating. Go to the Texas extension service web site and look for document E-179, titled " Forage Bermuda Grass: Selection, establishment and management". I also talked to an extension agent and she highly recommended "Tifton 85". She said it could handle trampling better and appears to have the best yield.

Essentially, bermuda grass is divided into two types, common and coastal. Common bermuda grass can be seeded when the soil temperature stays above 70 degrees. Which in Texas translates to late spring, early summer. That probably means you'll need to irrigate to get it established.

Coastal, on the other hand, can only be planted by sprigging or planting tops (you'll read this in the extension service document). The extension agent recommended sprigging in late January - early February. I think that on a normal year, we might get enough rain during these months to possibly eliminate additional irrigation.

She also recommended the following planting method (for those of us without a sprigging implement): Do a soil test to determine soil ammendments needed; plow, harrow and smooth with added amendments; broadcast sprigs (throw them out while riding on back of pickup), run disk harrow over them to work them in. Do rain dance and pray for rain.
(This method requires a higher sprig density due to expected loses)

The other way to do it is to find a sprigger implement to rent or hire someone to do it.

The extension agent should also be able to provide you with a list of sprig suppliers.

One of the things you'll note in the extension service document is the relationship of nitrogen to drought tolerance. She recommended fertilizing about 4 times a year.

I hope this helps.

/ Pasture Grass #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Coastal, on the other hand, can only be planted by sprigging )</font>

New seed varities are hardy and produce yields right up there with sprigged varities. And seeding is SO much easier. If it were me, I would plant an acre in seed and see what develops.

/ Pasture Grass
Gsganzer,

Thanks for the great info about extension service. The Tifton 85, grass is this seed or sprig? Also do you have any cost estimates per acre?

Jon Mark

/ Pasture Grass #7  
I start pricing at www.seedland.com to get an idea, then I start shopping around. Sometimes Lowes is best, but mostly the local feed and seed supplier will have the best prices.

/ Pasture Grass #8  
The Tifton 85 is sprig. I don't remember pricing, but $20.00 -$30.00 a bushel rings a bell. Did you find the extension service document? I'll check their website and see if I can post a link. Worst case, PM your mailing address and I'll mail you a copy.

/ Pasture Grass #9  
Anyone got an almanac handy? when is north central florida good to go to plant winter rye?

thanks

Soundguy

/ Pasture Grass #10  
Here's the internet address... (I hope). The file is too big to attach.
http://tcebookstore.org/pubinfo.cfm?pubid=1644

I'm not sure I'll get my pasture done this year. I've been planting rye every winter so I have some organic matter to build the soil. (Where's the rain???) If you do yours, let us know how it turns out.