Interesting Horse Run-In Shed Project!

/ Interesting Horse Run-In Shed Project! #1  

Tonester

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey MF1433 Hydro
Well, i'm putting my new toys to use constructing a run-in shed for our winter pasture! We had these cool galvanized modular horse stalls in our barn and while originally we had planned to build from scratch, I found out there was a roofing kit for 'em, so being the cost concious fella I am i figure I'm gonna haul 'em out and build it that way....

First scraped out the dirt a bit and put down a few inches of fine (1/2") driveway gravel to avoid the mud season. Used the box blade here to scrape, the FEL and backwards landscape rake to spread the gravel. Raked the area by hand to level it (see laser in picture at left) and rolled it with the Quad and lawn roller, then tractor with a full bucket of gravel to finish. Packed down pretty well!

See attachment for finished grade....

So far pretty fun! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 334227-gravel.jpg
    334227-gravel.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 522
   / Interesting Horse Run-In Shed Project!
Here are the tools of the trade for today!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 334229-tools.jpg
    334229-tools.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 520
Next step is to move the stall walls. Pretty heavy suckers, probably 500 or 600lbs each. Couple chains on the FEL and out they came, took 'em down to the pasture and placed 'em together in two sections of three each (thats how the roof kits will come). Even painted 'em white to match the house! This looks easier than it was, but still beats bangin nails....

Attachments

• 334230-stalls.jpg
    334230-stalls.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 523
Got the walls up and put in these heavy rubber stall mats to keep the gravel out of the "kids" hooves, then the roof came! Talk about steel! 15' 12 gauge beams kinda heavy 150-200lbs each for the sides, lighter for the crossbeams. Took a steel pole that used to be a fence, drilled and bolted a heavy eye hook to one end and shoved the whole thing onto the end of my bale spear to make a boom pole (ah, science!) Worked perfectly to lift the beams into place so I could bolt 'em onto the steel roof supports. The cross beams were light enough for two people to lift in and bolt together. Sunday I will finish the roof beams, put the fronts on and start on the roofing. It is a metal roof (red, to match the house, CFO's orders!) I'll post more then..... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 334236-roof.jpg
    334236-roof.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 479
One of the future residents "Journey", is eying my work! Hope he's not nervous......... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Attachments

• 334237-journey.jpg
    334237-journey.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 403
   / Interesting Horse Run-In Shed Project! #6  
Why would you want to move those nice stalls OUT of your barn???

Ha! Good question! We have two other barns, one attached to the house, and a new one across the access road, each with new stalls and pretty nice. The old barn was mostly for horses we don't have anymore (adopted out) and the new barn has built in permanent stalls. So they were just sittin' there........ I have six more for the other pasture (spring time project!) and the old barn now houses hay, implements and tractor!

See pic of new barn.... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 334241-newbarn.jpg
    334241-newbarn.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 470
Here is a better shot of the stalls to show the inside and assembly...

Attachments

• 334245-Stalls2.jpg
    334245-Stalls2.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 566
   / Interesting Horse Run-In Shed Project! #9  
I hate to change the subject, but I'm really interested in your fence. Did you install it yourself? Where did you find the best price? Did you fill the posts with concrete to hold the horses in? How deep are the posts?

Thanks
Eddie

Hi Eddie,
It's not a bad fence for plastic.... We put cement on corners, gates and here and there for extra support. There are two kinds of posts, one kind has metal inside for gates and the other is just strong plastic stuff. They can go about 3 feet in the ground. The rigidity comes from the rails - they are staggered lengths 8' & 16' with each one offset as you put 'em up. We got some from home depot, and It worked out cheaper than wood at the time. Not sure on what we paid, it's been a while. a fence company did the bigger pastures. It still was cheaper than wood and lasts a long time, no painting either! we had a huge tree fall on a section and it broke a post, but thats all. Our horses have tried to bust it and they haven't succeeded (yet...) it kinda gives when they bump into it. The really wacko horses get to stay in the small pasture with an electric fence inside the regular fence for safety.... depends on the horse.

You will prob'ly like it, and it looks real nice, too. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif