Gravel Driveway Re-hab

/ Gravel Driveway Re-hab #31  
Mark,
I only had to pay about $150 a roll for a 12' by 300' roll but that was from a place called Contractor's Suppy. You have to be a contractor to buy from them but really all you need is a tax id #. My buddy that I bought the skidsteer from got this from me and I just called him to see where to get some more from and he told me that. Where you are should have a contracting supply store. He said to look under contractors and then supplies in the yellow pages. Hope that helps. Let me know if it doesn't and I will get you the number of the place here in Iowa.

tractorpic.jpg

/ Gravel Driveway Re-hab #32  
Bill,
Not the same stuff as what you put down to prevent weeds. This is much stronger than that stuff. I don't know how well a silt fence would work either. You can't even hardly tear this stuff. Have to cut it with utility knife.

tractorpic.jpg

/ Gravel Driveway Re-hab #33  
Bill -

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner on where I found the fabric. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

Although I haven't actually gotten any yet, I had contacted the same place I got my culvert pipe, which happens to be a contractor's plumbing supplier. Like Richard says, I imagine any kind of contractor's supply or road construction outfit can get it for you.

Since you asked, I've been playing phone tag with these people all day today, trying to get a current quote. I think it's going to be considerably more than Richard paid 'cuz I can't get stuff directly from this place -- I get the info and then order it from a nearby lumber yard where a friend of mine works. The lumber yard takes care of picking it up and delivering it to my property for 20 bucks above my friend's discount price.

HarvSig.gif

/ Gravel Driveway Re-hab #34  
WVBill,

I have seen corrogated black plastic pipe/culvert as small as 4 inches. I know they have 12inch stuff and it looks like they have 6 and 8 or10 inch pipe as well. Whether the small pipe will move the water is another question. I did not pay much attention to the pipe in the range from 4+ inches to less than 12. I'm going to use 12 inch culverts for the driveway/road intersection and most likely the perforated 4 inch pipe for a french drain.

My local farm supplier had a good supply of pipe at the best prices I could find.

Hope this helps...
Dan McCarty

/ Gravel Driveway Re-hab #35  
One reason to use the largest culvert pipe you possibly can is that the smaller the diameter, the more prone it is to getting clogged, and the harder it is to clean out. /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

At my property, leaves, branches and other debris are inevitably going to find their way to any culvert I put in. Right now, my smallest culvert is 12 inches, but I may soon have to employ some smaller stuff, same as you. I'm thinking I'd be wise to put some sort of screen arrangement at the inlet, but I'm worried that in a heavy rain the screen will get plugged up in no time.

Been fighting the same battle with my rain gutters for as long as I can remember. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Gravel Driveway Re-hab #36  
Have you considered putting some large rocks in a half moon a few feet in front of the entrance to the culvert pipe? It acts as a course screen, stops the big stuff and the water will run over the tops. The buildup is also readily removable and will take longer to buildup to blockage proportions than screening the entrance only. A small excavation in between would help even more and act as a "settling chamber" alowing fines and leaves to settle out instead of entering your pipe.

/ Gravel Driveway Re-hab #38  
Harv, I would definitely use the filter cloth. Also, you may want to install some rebar to help prevent objects from clogging the culvert. Go ahead and get that welder that you so desperately want and use it to make a grid out of the rebar. It would be good training on using the welder and how bad could you mess up on a project like this?

/ Gravel Driveway Re-hab #39  
Roy -

Rebar is handy stuff, fer sure, but the culverts I have right now seem to be large enought to handle most of the debris, and they're short enough (10 feet) that they're easy to clean out.

If I wind up putting in some smaller diameter stuff, it will be plastic, which is much harder to weld rebar to. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

On the other hand, I do need an excuse to get the welder ...

HarvSig.gif