what metal siding and roofing for pole barn?

/ what metal siding and roofing for pole barn? #1  

mopower440

Gold Member
Tractor
lawntractor only
well, last thing i need to figure out is what type metal roofing and siding im going to use on the pole barn! need some help with that, Heres the deal, my house has brown shingles on it and i would like to get brown metal for the roofing on the pole barn, went to lowes and looked to see what they had in stock, well, they had some colored metal roofing, 29 gauge, but its 23.00 per sheet, the regular 29 gauge galvanized metal that is just silver is only 9.00 a sheet, quite difference, and i am on a very tight budget, wondering if there is any other brand maybe that is colored but priced in the middle of the 2 i listed, like maybe 15.00 a sheet or something, any ideas? Also, what metal do i use for siding, just use the same roofing metal?
thanks all!

/ what metal siding and roofing for pole barn? #2  
Well I'm not current on prices, but there are lots of metal roofing dealers. Look 'em up in the Yellow Pages and you'll probably find something you like. My back porch is covered with metal that has baked on enamel that came with a 25 year warrenty. I don't recall what I paid for it, but it was reasonable.

/ what metal siding and roofing for pole barn? #3  
Have no idea where you're located, but in the southern states many have gone to a product called galvalume, which is available in different thicknesses and can be ordered cut to length, I think up to about 40'. I have used 26ga to roof two houses, one in 1990 and the other in 1999 and have been very satisfied. I've also built three shop buildings about 24X40 and used 29ga on them (roof only). All except for one shop was with painted metal. The one done with a brown color in 1990 has faded somewhat but that' s the only change.
In the MS/LA area I know of three or four businesses that specialize in metal roofing supplies, so you probably can locate a dealer nearby. The last time I checked prices painted 26 ga was about 1.50 per linear foot and natural was about 1.20 LF. Sheets cover 3' width. If you aren't particular about the color, or can use unpainted you can often find it at cheaper prices. I have seen it as low as .99 per foot unpainted, and bought some 29ga at this price when putting a new roof on my houseboat.
In this area snow load isn't a factor, and you can get by with trusses @ 4'OC with 1X4 lathing @ 2'OC. 29GA will buckle at this spacing if you don't step carefully.

/ what metal siding and roofing for pole barn? #4  
I shop a lot at Lowe's, but sometimes their prices and selection is lacking on specialty items, like metal roofing. I recently purchased somd 26 ga. galvalume colored panels at about $1.35 per foot from Metal Mart for my boat house. I have no idea where you are, but there are lots of metal building co.'s around that should be able to give you a better selection and price. I definitely like the heavier 26 ga. product, but have used plain 29 ga. on a couple of sheds on my place with no problem.