Digging Pond questions

/ Digging Pond questions
I am going to change the dimensions of the pond...but my main purpose of digging one is to use the dirt for leveling around house.

400 to 500 feet is that better.....

I ve broken down my land into square acres..... roughly 208 x 208 =43560 sq ft.
my apologies on measurements.

Like I said im just going to dig and I can always come back later with backhoe.....nothing wrong with just having a hole in the ground either.

Thanks Bindian

/ Digging Pond questions #22  
October 19, 2010 021.JPGMy advice is to make sure you have plenty of dirt on the back slope with not less than 3/1 slope (4/1 is better)so it has plenty of strength to hold back the force of the ponds water and to make it easier to put some grass on it to prevent erosion then mowing will be easier also. The interior slope should be not more than 1/1 (45 degrees) for at least first 6-8 feet of depth then you could likely make an almost perpendicular cut for the remaining depth if you wanted on the deep end (assuming you are building this on a slope so the deep end is downhill).

I am sure that when you start digging, you will adjust the size upward a quite a bit especially if you are looking for some fill dirt. Putting in a small pond like that will likely take most of what you dig out to make the pond dams so it wont leave anything left for fill. Increasing the size will give you lots of fill dirt after completing the dam. I built this one with my tractor but it is only about 6 feet deep but it took all the dirt to make the dam.

/ Digging Pond questions #23  
One more piece of advice, dig what you need at one time. Trying to dig out later after it has filled with water or even held water is much harder to do, just ask Brandi (BINDIAN)

/ Digging Pond questions #24  
400-500 feet, now we are getting some where. Everyone needs a few acre pond on their property.

As always, it didn't happen if there aren't pictures posted! We all love seeing tractors working for their keep!

/ Digging Pond questions #25  
One more piece of advice, dig what you need at one time. Trying to dig out later after it has filled with water or even held water is much harder to do, just ask Brandi (BINDIAN)

Hey, Honda water pumps are lovable. I used it again this weekend when digging tandem septic tank holes and hit an old field line. Glad I bought that pump two summers back.
Here is my two pond's threads. First thread link you can see why I needed a pump.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/251326-instant-pond.html

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/135413-i-finally-started-my-pond.html
hugs, Brandi

/ Digging Pond questions #26  

That's the same thing I was thinking. You are not going to enlarge a 400' pond with a backhoe or even a trackhoe. That would require a large dredge.

/ Digging Pond questions #27  
I dug my pond and it's a small one by most comparisons here. It's roughly 80X70ish. Due to slope with my tractor getting in and out and building up the dam, the best I could do was get the deepest spot to be about 8.5'. And that is not for a large distance at all, once again due to the slope. As other's have stated, a lot of what I dug ended up in the core trench and dam, but that will also depend on your terrain. I'd estimate my left over spoils were roughy 3 to 4 triaxle loads of dirt. I actually could have used more of it (maybe half) on the outside of the dam. I will be doing more work building it up at a lesser angle than I currently have.

/ Digging Pond questions #28  
   / Digging Pond questions
Thanks for all the info guys.

I will adjust size to allow more dirt for other uses.....

lets say I build a pond that is 150 feet by 100 feet at 12 feet deep with just a D4 dozer....how long should it take me to build pond to a finish product that's including dam built, spillway in place, etc.