Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE HST Cab

Default Winch for pulling downed trees

I have a Kioti DK40SE Cab and want to drag downed trees (2 foot maximum diameter) to the logging road. I don't want to spend the money on a farmi and really don't want a 3 pt hitch attachment solution as I will have a Wallenstein chipper installed on the 3 pt and plan on chipping on site.

I was hoping to bolt an electric winch to the front grill bolts and skid the trees. I've read other posts warning of the battery drain and stress on smaller alternators. I can't find specs on the DK40SE alternator.

I was hoping to get the Mile Marker SEC 12000. If the weight of the pull is in the 3-4k range, the amp draw is less than 200 amps.

I'm hoping with a workflow that had a 15-30 minute break after each pull (cutting up the tree and chipping the limbs) would allow the tractor's alternator / battery to keep up - and without destroying it. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Anyone using a winch for tree skidding and what size winch are you using?

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Default Re: Winch for pulling downed trees

Well the good news; here is the alternator output curve diagram. Note that the more RPM of course more output, but also notice the two curves; cold vs hot alternator. Whether it will keep up or not, I don't for sure know.

-alternator-rating-curve-jpg
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

I don't know your terrain, but on mine, I used a long cable (100, 50, 50) and a snatch block to get logs to the road. Never felt the need for a winch.

Bruce

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Quote Originally Posted by bcp View Post
    I don't know your terrain, but on mine, I used a long cable (100, 50, 50) and a snatch block to get logs to the road. Never felt the need for a winch.

Bruce
    That certainly sounds like a simpler and less costly solution if it would work out for him.
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE HST Cab

Bruce
    I'm curious how you use the snatch block to get your logs to the road. Are you using a tree next to the road with a strap and snatch block attached so you can pull the log up perpendicular to the road and direction the tractor is moving? What kind of cable do you use?

My terrain is varied. 27 acres of some flat areas and many slopes. A winch seems versatile and likely to solve logistical problems. I've presumed pulling alone will not always work.

You may want to consider running an extra deep cycle battery.
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Snatch block on a tree or stump, preferably across the road from the log. Cable (3/8) from log to block to tow vehicle, which drives along the road. On a long pull, the long cable is first, then the short nearest the log. Back up and remove the short cable when the joint reaches the block. If the block is on a strong tree, putting it higher helps the dragging. I had the idea to bevel or point the end of the log if snagging was a problem but never had to. I pulled out logs, not trees, so it may be different if you pull out, then trim.

I have 5 acres, all fir except the house site. About 100 ft elevation change top to bottom, most of it in 2/3 of the length. Lots of boulders on the steeper parts.

Bruce

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE HST Cab

Snatch block on a tree or stump, preferably across the road from the log. Cable (3/8) from log to block to tow vehicle, which drives along the road. On a long pull, the long cable is first, then the short nearest the log. Back up and remove the short cable when the joint reaches the block. If the block is on a strong tree, putting it higher helps the dragging. I had the idea to bevel or point the end of the log if snagging was a problem but never had to. I pulled out logs, not trees, so it may be different if you pull out, then trim.

I have 5 acres, all fir except the house site. About 100 ft elevation change top to bottom, most of it in 2/3 of the length. Lots of boulders on the steeper parts.

Bruce
    I guess my "good idea" might just be too much thought. Guess I'll just try it like you have described. I need to find someone with compression equipment for the end loops - winch cable extensions are expensive.

Tractor
    '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 boxblade, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy.

I wouldn't tie a winch into the tractors electrical system, you're only asking for trouble.
    Pull from your drawbar at the rear of the tractor and use a clamshell snatch block like these: Light Duty Cast Sided Snatch Blocks. I use the exact one with my Igland PTO winch and get 8,000#s of pull through the block. You can buy a 'cone' to keep the log ends from digging in when skidding them.
    Logging suppliers can provide you with premade winch cable with compressed ends already to go.
    2010 DK-40se/hst, Kioti KL-401 FEL, (reversible Kioti cutting edge), 72" Ratchet Rake. Fit Rite Top-N-Tilt hydraulics & diverter valve. HLA Series 2000 7' snowplow, Aquiline MPC rear chains. Samuri Sickle bar.

Scag Wildcat: Kawasaki 26HP, with bagger. Dr. brush mower, & 42" lawn deck, Dr. self propelled, 6.5HP Trimmer mower. Pro-Mow 3 gang mower, no HP.

Bunch of STIHL chainsaws: 011x 2, MS192T, MS200T, MS180C, MS230, MS270 (Wood Boss), 038 Farmboss, '86 anniversary edition.

The last winch I used was slower than death. Fine for pulling a truck 20' out of the mud but I'm not sure if I would want to try and pull logs with one. If you do i would suggest making something for the 3pt hitch that had the winch, a large deep cycle battery, and a place to connect a chain to skid the log.
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast