Name in Limestone

/ Name in Limestone #21  
. . . My question is how to make it permanent. What paint to use for the letters and do I seal it? . . .

Ask at a local monument shop. (tombstones) A friend of mine owned a monument business for several years. They used a special black paint to do that. Don't remember exactly, but I think it was something close to "Lithochrome." Anyway, they should be able to tell you what to use to paint a rock. After all, it's what they do every day, and people are just dying to do business with them. :D

/ Name in Limestone
Here is the finished project. The left two posts are set 28 inches deep. The right two are only 14 inches as they do not come up that far and that is the size of the post I had available. The solar lights last almost all night. When I walk the dogs at 0500 they are just about dimmed out but recharge nicely during the day. The location does not allow for much sun so I am sure it would do better in full sun. I drilled rebar down into the bottom posts which protrudes up into the next layer about 6 inches but does not go all the way. I did not want rain to get in the holes. Where the rebar goes down filled the holes with liquid nails prior to placing rebar. This is daytime, twilight and night. The night pic does not do justice to how bright the lights are.
IMAG1975.jpgIMAG1980.jpgIMAG1972.jpg

/ Name in Limestone #24  
Thats awesome I love the way you have it staggered. Great Job!!!!!

/ Name in Limestone #25  
nice job tornadowatchranch,I've bought stone from Higgen's Stone outside of Dover but I think they went out of business.They used to have a place on S.Topeka blvd. and were going to build out on Auburn blvd.They cut patterns w/a sandblaster.I've used a router on the stone and have used a chopsaw to cut it.I built a deck and did a lot of my house w/their stone....russ

/ Name in Limestone
nice job tornadowatchranch,I've bought stone from Higgen's Stone outside of Dover but I think they went out of business.They used to have a place on S.Topeka blvd. and were going to build out on Auburn blvd.They cut patterns w/a sandblaster.I've used a router on the stone and have used a chopsaw to cut it.I built a deck and did a lot of my house w/their stone....russ

I talked to Higgins on the bvld a few years ago. Their stuff is high quality for sure. My original plan was to get the rock from them. Later, when out hunting in western KS, I was telling the landowner my plans and she offered this rock for free!

I am pretty happy with it. I will likely make one for my parents in Wisconsin. That will not be shipped! It will be really cool up there as the rock is not indigenous so it will be unique.

TWR

/ Name in Limestone #27  
Interesting thread......I found a 'little' hunk of sandstone rock on my place that is about 8' wide and 10' tall, and about 2' thick. I managed to shove it down to my gate area with my bulldozer, then dug a trench about 4' deep, and got it upright. I plan to seal it with something and paint the name of my farm on it so when you come in the gate, you see it.

I sealed it with a gallon of PPG "Breakthru".....a clear, glossy sealer. Did a great job. Then we painted the sign below, finished it today. Still need to remove the work platform, and do some landscaping around it to finish up, but the artwork itself is now done.

ry%3D400