Name in Limestone

/ Name in Limestone #1  

tornadowatchranch

Silver Member
Tractor
Bobcat 335 for the fun stuff JD gt235 for the lawn
Hey all
In true tractorbynet form I am subscribing to the "why pay someone else to do it when I can figure out how to do it myself" mantra. While hunting in western Kansas I picked up a bunch of limestone fence posts and pieces. So far I have traced the letters on them and then used a combo of (harbor freight) angle grinder with masonry bit and dremel with carbide burr to do the letters. My question is how to make it permanent. What paint to use for the letters and do I seal it? This is my "practice piece" so I just used black gloss enamel model paint since that is what I had around. As usual--it didn't happen without pictures.......

The nice thing about this format is the paint that I got on the face because the rain was coming I just ground off after the pic

IMAG1916.jpg IMAG1917.jpg IMAG1919.jpg

/ Name in Limestone #2  
I am thinking that an oilbased paint(rustoleum) or artists oil paint would work.

/ Name in Limestone #3  
Maybe tinted epoxy? Probably marine grade stuff would be required.

/ Name in Limestone #5  
The secret to getting paint to stick is using a good quality primer. I've never done this, but I would go with Zinsser BIN, which is an oil based exterior primer that is pure misery to work with because it sticks to everything and is a real pain to clean up. It's very watery, so it drips easy, so you have to be very careful when using it. Then I would use any good quality exterior paint over it. Kind of like painting brick on a house.

Eddie

/ Name in Limestone #6  
before Zinsser there was shellac .... soaked into anything porous and gave a base for paint (with no bleed through )

(the floor paint has additives to bond to cement ... mix in a handful of sand and you have a slip proof surface to walk on ....)

/ Name in Limestone #7  
Lime stone being rather pours I would say about anything that is thin will penetrate it rather well. I would also have them out in sun to DRY with a good breeze so the stone drys out thru it well.

I would think a good coating of tape to draw letters on would help keep it inside the lines, perhaps a sand blaster would be faster and smoother (with less depth) once the tape is on it.

mark

/ Name in Limestone #8  
I would think something like an agg seal product would work to seal it...something like what they use on unglazed terracotta and other paving etc. materials... some agg/concrete sealers come in different colors...

check the box stores...

/ Name in Limestone #9  
Interesting thread......I found a 'little' hunk of sandstone rock on my place that is about 8' wide and 10' tall, and about 2' thick. I managed to shove it down to my gate area with my bulldozer, then dug a trench about 4' deep, and got it upright. I plan to seal it with something and paint the name of my farm on it so when you come in the gate, you see it.

Attachments

• DSCN3473.JPG
    DSCN3473.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 261
  • DSCN3469.JPG
    DSCN3469.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 342
   / Name in Limestone #10  
...something like what they use on unglazed terracotta ..

they use shellac on the inside to seal the pots .... or a penetrating sealer (thin liquid wax ) on tiles ....