I like it Smooth (bumpy yard)

/ I like it Smooth (bumpy yard) #1  

Cherokee140

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 650, Ford 8n, John Deere Model 70 Kubota BX25D
We have decided to stop bailing our property and now it is really going to be one big yard. The only real bad part of this (aside from fuel costs to keep it nice) is the land is VERY BUMPY. It was a pasture at one time, but now it has been my front and back "yard" for about 20 years....but you can still feel the bumps from the hoof prints and such.

Any suggestions for smoothing it all out with as little destruction to the grass that is there. On our back part we have some very bumpy parts....ankle breaking parts. This area has bumps in it that can be up to a foot deep (no kidding) it is a moon scape. I have started to reclaim the last bit of this area this year. In the past what I did was plow the disc, disc, disc....oh then run the disc some more....as that is all I had. It is somewhat better, but not as good as the rest of the "yard" but not as bad as the reclaimed part I did a few years ago. The reclaimed area is still too bumpy for your normal riding type lawn mower. The unclaimed part is too bumpy for the belly mower on the 650. For brush hogging you better take a hand full of sheer pins, you will bust them as the tractor falls in the holds and the blades hit the dirt....it is that bumpy.

I was thinking of a box blade for back there, but is there anything that would be better. Would a land plane be better for this.

This is really a two part question, how can I smooth out the "yard", then how can I smooth out this reclaimed out part. I really want to do the yard part with as little damage to the existing grass as possible, the reclaimed part it really does not matter if it goes back to dirt first.

Thanks again for all your help.

/ I like it Smooth (bumpy yard) #2  
I would till, then grade then roll and seed. Can't see how you can save the grass you have.

/ I like it Smooth (bumpy yard) #4  
I'm with The Honorable Murph--------

If you want ex-pasture level and smooth you will loose the grass.

I expect you will have to use a Moldboard/Turning plow first, then proceed from there. A heavy (HEAVY) Disc Harrow may be the next step after plowing, then repeated passes with a Land Plane or Chain Harrow.

There are numerous threads in the T-B-N archive on smoothing rutted and severely compacted ex-pasture. I cannot remember one thread where a plow was not the first implement used.

Rather than a Box Blade, a rear/angle blade or heavy Landscape Rake would spread plowed and harrowed soil better due to the ability of both to move dirt across the face of the implement. However, a Box Blade will certainly move dirt.

Be sure to work the land when the soil is moist. You cannot accomplish anything with a plow nor Disc Harrow if the land is too dry.

Be sure to have the soil tested before reseeding grass. If you need micro-nutrients or lime apply it after plowing. (In north Florida we are Boron deficient. When Boron is spread, generally 2-4 pounds per acre, pasture grass does much better.)

It would be helpful if you inform us of the pan diameter of your current Disc Harrow and how many acres you are working with.

Last edited:
   / I like it Smooth (bumpy yard) #5  
If you want it truly level, disk it heavily first to chop up the grass so it doesn't clog up the land plane. It may talk many passes with a land plane to level off the hills and carry enough dirt to fill in the deep holes but continues disking and pulling the land plane will get it as smooth as a babies behind.
I wish I knew how to smooth existing lawn without killing the grass as mine has some rough spots also. I have been putting dirt into the low spots as I find them but it is a slow recovery process for the grass.

/ I like it Smooth (bumpy yard) #6  
If one would have a big heavy roller, (water filled or other filled) I thinking in the few ton range, BIG,

and wait until you get a good rain and the ground is lightly spongy, or at least some softness in it, and try to roll it, if too wet you may not help it, but I am thinking your discussing small irregularities in rough not mounds of dirt and ridges,

have "leveled" some with a light disking knocking down mounds and filling in small dips,

I have some where the neighbor blew on me this winter, and my plan is to take my blade down and level it, and hope the grass will survive and come back up through it, but I have mounds up to 18" tall,
I know when the road grader comes by, and scraped the edge of the road here, they take some times the top few inches and grass come back from the roots, and I am reasonably sure that the turf farms take the top off and it comes back from the roots,

/ I like it Smooth (bumpy yard) #7  
I have to disagree with what others have said so far. The best tool for the job BY FAR is a "harly rake". A tiller does a similar job, but will dig down too deep as you bump over inconsistent spots along your pasture. A tiller will make it look nice at first but you will get uneven settling as the soil compacts. The harley rake will knock off the high spots but won't dig down deeper than an inch or two, leaving a silky smooth surface.
I was able to rent a 60" PTO powered harley rake at my local power equipment rental place. It brought my yard from a weedy terrible mess to a smooth fluffy seedbed. Once seed goes down, roll the seed in, then water daily.

P.S. Before renting the harley rake I tried: boxblade (smoothed out the minor flaws but left the lawn wavy), ratchet rake (backdragged and left 1" ruts in the soil but helped smooth big hills out).

/ I like it Smooth (bumpy yard) #8  
I have seen people have a dump truck skim coat with top soil and then use a box blade tilted back to only provide smoothing to smooth out a rough yard. Then apply grass seeds and fertilizer. But if a large area, the cost of the dirt would become prohibitive and the use of a Harley rake after disking, then seeding may be the most economical.

/ I like it Smooth (bumpy yard)
The very bumpy part that we just finished brush hogging is about 1ac....perhaps a tad more. The rest of that area that is too bumpy for a regular mower is about 3-4ac. The "yard" part is about 10.

I will have to measure the disc I don't know how large it is.

I really want to get that "new" part done. I think back in the day this was a different area of the pasture as it was fenced off from the part the house is on. And this area is MUCH rougher then any other spot. Thanks for the advice, I will see what the people around her have to rent.

/ I like it Smooth (bumpy yard) #10  
I think the Harley rake is a good idea.

In the past, I had a rutted field that I disced, then a box blade, then drug a section of chain link fence (with pieces of telephone pole chained on top). Long, slow process. Then I found a used landscape rake with gage wheels and that was a vast improvement.

The chain link was very good for dragging over the area to cover the seed. That worked just as well as a commercial seeding contractor did with seeding and blowing straw over an area.