building a small bridge

/ building a small bridge #1  

NHbotanut

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B7610HSD
I have a job coming up that I have to cross a small stream. I need to build a bridge so I can get across it and do the work.

The stream is 6' wide. I am planning on digging into both banks, dropping in some concrete blocks and then using 3 railroad ties ( 8 feet long ) as my beams. I plan to put 2 x 10 planks across the ties and nail everything down. Total width of the planks will be 60". My tire width is 47"

I'm guessing my tractor weighs about 3,200-3,300 pounds, taking into account the backhoe, loaded tires and 60" 4in1 bucket. The bridge will only be 6-12 inches above the water. I will build a low ramp to approach the bridge.

I will post some pics when I get back out there tomorrow.

/ building a small bridge #2  
Couple of things to consider,
First, if you're planning on using "used" crossties, I would advise against it. If the railroad doesn't want them anymore, there's probably a good reason. They will break at the spike holes. (you might get somebody that you don't like to test it first) :D
I don't know how much or how fast that stream rises, but down here, you would probably need to build a bridge 6-12 FEET above a 6' wide stream, just to keep it from getting washed away in the first thunderstorm.

/ building a small bridge #3  
I would anchor the three New railroad ties in a four foot deep cement column. six holes total with some rebar up and thru the tie ends. Nail or spike on your cross pieces and let the next big rain run over your bridge. Good chance to use your post hole digger.

/ building a small bridge #4  
I have a B7610 too, do you really think it weighs that 3200 - 3300 lbs? I think my manual says just the tractor weighs somewhere around 1500lbs. Add a FEL - what's that 500lbs? I have no idea how much your backhoe weighs. Filled tires probably adds 400lbs? Yeah, I guess you're getting close to 3000.

How deep is the creek? If one of the RR ties snaps how far do you have to fall? I would make sure you set the RR ties with the wider section vertical.

I'm working on a bridge over a small creek with fairly steep banks. My span is about 18'. I've got 5 telephone poles laid across the span and plan to deck the bridge with full dimension 2x6 white oak planks. I still worry that this won't be enough to support the tractor.

/ building a small bridge #5  
Dump some rock in it and drive across.

Bruce

/ building a small bridge #6  
Here's a picture of my in-progress bridge after 5" of rain. Creek is probably 3.5' to 4' deep. It's normally about 3 to 4 inches deep.

Bridge after 5inches of rain.jpg

/ building a small bridge #7  
I built a bridge 16' long and 9' wide using 3 16' ties for the stringers. They set on a 10' tie in each bank which has 3-4' of 1 1/4 minus rock in trenches 2' wide and 12' long. I had a lot of muck on one side which that overcome as I was able to get down to firm subgrade.

I think you should consider setting back from the banks more as creeks have a way of eroding banks and changing course a little . My set backs are 4' each side.

I take my 1 ton dually truck with 2 yds of aggregate over it and never a creak or movement. My deck is rough cut full 2" clear fir planks. Had to have them milled as lumber yards do not stock rough lumber anymore here.

Ron

/ building a small bridge #8  
I have a job coming up that I have to cross a small stream. I need to build a bridge so I can get across it and do the work.

The stream is 6' wide. I am planning on digging into both banks, dropping in some concrete blocks and then using 3 railroad ties ( 8 feet long ) as my beams. I plan to put 2 x 10 planks across the ties and nail everything down. Total width of the planks will be 60". My tire width is 47"

I'm guessing my tractor weighs about 3,200-3,300 pounds, taking into account the backhoe, loaded tires and 60" 4in1 bucket. The bridge will only be 6-12 inches above the water. I will build a low ramp to approach the bridge.

I will post some pics when I get back out there tomorrow.

What kind of concrete blocks are you talking about? What are your plans for keeping the bank from washing away where you were digging and dropping the blocks?

/ building a small bridge
Thanks for the replies. To give you a little more information, I only need the bridge to do some work this weekend. The stream is an overflow from a fire pond. It is maybe 2-3 feet deep.
For safety reasons, I could bulk up on the RR Ties and use five of them. 2 per tire and 1 in the middle. For this reason, I am not worried about making it a long term bridge. Just have to get across to use the backhoe and post hole digger.
I plan on building the bridge on Saturday, and doing the work on Sunday.

/ building a small bridge #10  
Thinking out loud within earshot of a friend while facing a similar situation, he suddenly said "Why don't you back the trailer into the creek, drive across it, and when your done pull it back out?". Added a couple temporary dirt ramps, it worked like a charm, TMMV.