Pine trees or shrubry In landscape look dead

/ Pine trees or shrubry In landscape look dead #11  
A lot of pines and evergreens here are dying due to a harsh winter. IMO

Also in Indiana. Think it's a combo of drought and Bark Beetles?

/ Pine trees or shrubry In landscape look dead #12  
We got it here too. First time in the 15 years since we bought the place. The 4-foot Alberta Spruce trees all turned brown but most of them recovered and look great. Only one bit the dust. The 6-foot Junipers still look terrible. Lots of brown branches. I'll blame it on the long, cold winter like the rest of you. Lots of bigger pine trees around here couldn't take it and are completely dead.

/ Pine trees or shrubry In landscape look dead #13  
I have Ponderosa pine. We always loose trees to pine bark beetle. I've never heard of any spray, dusting powder etc to control the beetle. It usually attacks trees 6" or less on the butt. The bark begins to look like somebody hammered on the tree with a carrot grater and the needles turn tan and drop off. The only cure is to identify, fall and completely burn any and all infected trees. I usually loose 20-30 trees to beetle infestation each year.

/ Pine trees or shrubry In landscape look dead
All interesting answers. As we all have probably said, winter is nothing like it used to be. So I wonder, if the harsh winter is at the cause, why don't I remember trees brownish years ago. Of course when your 10 or 15 yrs old, who sees the lawn shrubs? Seems like general consensus is harsh winter. Sure was bad.

Thanks for the answers.....Coffeeman

/ Pine trees or shrubry In landscape look dead #15  
It's not just trees, I have winter kill in some areas of the yard. One strip is where the snowblower-thrown snow landed, which really compacts and pounds the snow down. Then we had lots of ice accumulation too. I think the grass just got smothered being locked under that junk for so long this winter.

/ Pine trees or shrubry In landscape look dead
It's not just trees, Then we had lots of ice accumulation too. I think the grass just got smothered being locked under that junk for so long this winter.
. I forgot about ice. I got a leak in roof. Never had one for yrs. After ice melted leak gone. ( "knock on wood").

Cheers.

/ Pine trees or shrubry In landscape look dead #17  
. I forgot about ice. I got a leak in roof. Never had one for yrs. After ice melted leak gone. ( "knock on wood").

Cheers.

You likely had an ice dam. Ice forms a tall lip or ridge, usually at the edge of the roof where melt water gets over the colder soffit and eaves. A sunny day does some melting of snow above the ice dam, but the water can't get past it. It backs up behind the ice dam as standing water. The water creeps between the submerged shingles and finds it way to your attic/ceilings, etc. Shingles are not made to be leak proof against standing water.

Edit: I should add that whatever water remains behind the ice dam at the end of the day freezes overnight and adds to the thickness and height of the dam. They are self-nourishing under the right conditions, you can get some really big slabs of ice on a roof.

If that happens again, use a roof rake to clear 2-3 feet of snow off the roof above the ice dam. The sun will warm the roof and melt away the ice, the snow melt will evaporate. It won't leak as long as you get after it before the ice dam becomes too thick. Perversely, a second dam often wants to form at the edge of the cleared roof area. All depends on the weather, the roof's compass orientation--and your insulation of course. Ice melt is better for the roof than trying to chip off the ice if you need to get rid of the dam.

Last edited:
   / Pine trees or shrubry In landscape look dead #18  
All of our native trees and shrubs look good in my area. The ones zoned for 3 did well. I'm wondering if nurserys have been supplying stock a zone or two warmer for some years now. I suspect that those are hit hard. We had a blackberry that had started the winter with great canes, almost killed back to the ground, but then it is not zoned for what used to be the normal temps in this area. Time will tell.

-My wife has always wanted to have some mulberry trees. We planted 4. The nursery said they were zone 3 and 4, -hardy stock carefully raised, etc. I had to laugh though, when she told me they were from N. Carolina! -A contradiction in terms!

/ Pine trees or shrubry In landscape look dead #19  
Birds + mulberries = one heck of a mess everywhere :D

/ Pine trees or shrubry In landscape look dead #20  
Is there some kind of blight that can cause this. what can stop this and make plants better? I seem to remember something in past. Anyone have idea?

Cheers. Coffeeman
It was a very HARD winter on trees and shrubs.I bought some Jacks special powdered fertilizer (great stuff)mixed up a few gallons.I sprayed around the dripline of my trees.All are doing great.Jacks Fert. works well in your garden also.