Problem with concrete floor in a quonset shop bulding 24/30

/ Problem with concrete floor in a quonset shop bulding 24/30 #21  
Agree Shipping containers should NOT be buried as inward pressure from dirt will crush them.

Also agree that keeping that concrete wet will HELP it get harder, slower it cures harder it gets. Wetting surface helps it "hydrate" and chemical process makes it better. As soon as the top drys enough to walk on it add 12 hours and first light wetting. Cover it w plastic or even set up water sprinkler systems. When I did my pole barn, I flooded it inside and sprayed it outside on the next day. it was warm & dry, whetted, plastic spread inside and outside. that stuff it GREAT, though even straight Muratic Acid wouldn't etch it for stain to stick... 4th year and first crack outside after the REALLY cold winter..

Mark

/ Problem with concrete floor in a quonset shop bulding 24/30
I have the concrete for the floor poured(Friday). Wet it a few times over the weekend, light rain Friday night.
My planes is to move the building up on the floor and anchor it down.
I am open to suggestions for the best way to accomplish this. I would rather not put any heavy equipment on the floor for fear of damage. The back half of the building will have to cross over the hole where the buried container was collapsed. this hole is about 3 to 4' deep 12' front to back and the full width across.
Also can not work from the sides with equipment due to trees on one side and part of the hole on the other side.
Any and all Suggestions would be appreciated.

Will start from this position.
019.JPG

Last edited:
   / Problem with concrete floor in a quonset shop bulding 24/30 #23  
I would get some heavy car dollies maybe 3 or 4 sets of them. watch the rating vs what you THINK the bld weighs. set it down onto them and roll it in. maybe wait a few extra days,

OR find 20 friends with strong backs. Watched utube vid of Amish (80 of em) moving a wooden house!

Mark

/ Problem with concrete floor in a quonset shop bulding 24/30 #24  
Attach pressure treated sill plates to the bottoms of the walls.
Cut some 1'-2' lengths of ~2" black pipe. Use the pipes for rollers under the sill plates. Use enough rollers to keep the weight spread out. Lower the building onto the rollers.
Put two or three heavy duty eye bolts on the front sill plate.
Attach chains/straps and pull forward with tractor.

/ Problem with concrete floor in a quonset shop bulding 24/30 #25  
Let the concrete cure for 28 days or as long as you can before moving the building.

I moved a 20x24 garage on an equipment trailer after 10 days of curing, and 10 years later the floor had large cracks in several places.

After a long day, I have the building moved onto the new floor.

Almost there
028.JPG

Here is the way we, myself and 2 men, moved the building.
Cut the form retaining stakes off even with the top of the forms. We placed 1 3"diameter pipe , has 1/4" walls, and was long enough to reach from one form across to the other side with a couple of feet to spare.
I came up with this idea to pull the building.
Backside
041.JPG
Front side
028.JPG
side view
009.JPG

This method allowed me to have a even pull with all the stress on the side plates
All of the weight was on the out side forms. No equipment was ever on the floor.

/ Problem with concrete floor in a quonset shop bulding 24/30 #27  
Good job!

/ Problem with concrete floor in a quonset shop bulding 24/30 #28  
Outstanding!

Now go ahead and pour a nice 20' skirt in front....trust me you will use that almost as much as the inside of the building.

Building is in place and anchored down.
001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

Putting concrete in hole.

007.JPG

014.JPG

Having a little bit of a problem moving this into the hole.
I will have to get a friend to bring his tractor over and we will double up and use a long 1/2" cable and pull from across the hole.

025.JPG

About all that is left to do is cap the concrete with a couple feet of dirt.
Has been an interesting project..
I was very pleased with my contractor, Richard Sandoval, and the finished project...