Gable and side wall overhang....necessary or not?

/ Gable and side wall overhang....necessary or not? #21  
I like eaves. eaves are a friend of mine

the big barn was built over a period of years and I stuck small overhang on it. I said next time I will put proper eaves on the next building, and never regretted that. I like'm.

Attachments

• P1260006.jpg
    P1260006.jpg
    939.1 KB · Views: 200
  • P1260007.jpg
    P1260007.jpg
    878.6 KB · Views: 158
  • P3150004.jpg
    P3150004.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 167
   / Gable and side wall overhang....necessary or not? #22  
The idea that you can pull out the hot humid air or that a fan will "cool" an attic space is just a myth. It's a sales gimmick just like the latest diet pill or paint with primer. People buy it because it sounds good and they want it to work.

Attic space is supposed to be hot. Heat rises, and when it enters the roof at the soffit, it travels up to the ridge vent or gable vent or whatever you might have. The higher it is the better. Moving hot air faster with an electric fan doesn't change anything, it just uses more electricity.

As for insulation, you don't need a lot to significantly reduce the amount of condensation that's form. The rolls of insulation that are sold for metal roofs work great. an inch of Styrofoam will work. It just needs to be tight up against the metal to create that barrier of the inside air from the outside. If you are planning on heating or running air conditioning, then you will need a lot more. R60 in attics is the goal for houses. What you want to spend and put into it really depends on how much you want to put into heating and cooling it.

Eddie

Totally false, sorry. Attic air is not "supposed to be hot". Attic air gets to be 120 degrees or better in the summer heat. Having a fan that draws cooler air in and forces hot air out serves a purpose. It cools the attic and reduces radiant and convectional heat to the inside of a building. This is elementary.... Do some research on heating and cooling, and building science. It's not a myth, a diet pill or any other fad...And It's the code in places where there are actually people to enforce it.

/ Gable and side wall overhang....necessary or not? #23  
I have 2ft overhang on the sides, 1 ft on the front and back. I noticed that the siding looks better on the sides than it does on the other 2 sides, it doesn't get as much water on it, and less sun. If I built a new barn, it would have at least 2 ft on all sides.

Not only would I go back and double our barn's gable and side wall overhangs fron 12" to at least 24", I would (and will when we get a new roof installed), double the 18" overhangs the original builder put on our log house from 18" to 36".

Not only does the wider overhang help to protect from rain and splashing, it also protects the building and contents from the sun beating down on walls and through windows, especially in the warmer months when it is higher in the sky.

Having seen the amount of water you can get dripping off a metal roof chilled by a thick snow pack sitting on it during a warm spell as happened in several previous winters in our wood shed, which has open soffits, we had foresight enough to put a layer of insulation with a good vapor barrier up against the roof in our barn.

(To be perfectly clear, the insulation is against the roof, the vapor barrier is between the insulation and the open barn.)

They laid it on the purlins and then screwed the metal roof panels down onto it.

Then we had to make them come back to tape the seams so the vapor barrier was well sealed, ...and to repair all the rips they made in it while they were working.

/ Gable and side wall overhang....necessary or not? #24  
I like eaves. eaves are a friend of mine

the big barn was built over a period of years and I stuck small overhang on it. I said next time I will put proper eaves on the next building, and never regretted that. I like'm.

I like your bat house- that is what I see on the third picture, isn't it?

/ Gable and side wall overhang....necessary or not? #25  
I think it's very important, mainly to get the roof's dripline away from the building, poles, and any window/door openings. IT will reduce moisture problems and keep the poles from rotting a lot longer than if they were always swamped. Second, it gives you a place for soffit venting, which combined with a ridge vent is also very good for your building's longevity -- the added ventilation will reduce internal moisture and summer heating and reduce temperature extremes on the roof.

I went with 12" overhangs all around on my barn. I see many barns with no overhangs, and think it's just foolish. I want the building to last a long time and not have moisture problems inside or out. Plus, buildings look a lot better with overhangs in my opinion.
Amen... a no brainer in my mind. At least in my climate.

/ Gable and side wall overhang....necessary or not? #26  
I have 2ft overhang on the sides, 1 ft on the front and back. I noticed that the siding looks better on the sides than it does on the other 2 sides, it doesn't get as much water on it, and less sun. If I built a new barn, it would have at least 2 ft on all sides.

I completely agree with you. Not only do I like the look of overhangs, but they do keep water and sun off the siding. To me, this shades the barn and keeps it cooler in the summer.

On a house, I like a 3' overhang all around, it keeps windows cleaner, plus the same thing with both sun and winter protection.

/ Gable and side wall overhang....necessary or not? #27  
I completely agree with you. Not only do I like the look of overhangs, but they do keep water and sun off the siding. To me, this shades the barn and keeps it cooler in the summer.

On a house, I like a 3' overhang all around, it keeps windows cleaner, plus the same thing with both sun and winter protection.
Yes big overhangs are functional but in design, be careful they aren't too big as you might really reduce the amount of daylight coming indoors to your home. I had this issue with a few rooms in a home I designed and built.

/ Gable and side wall overhang....necessary or not? #28  
yep that is a bat house on the right side, in the photo. On the left side is an owl box. We have had moderate success with this owl box so far,it took them a while to find it, two years to be exact. We have had a nesting pair the last two years.

The bat box really shouldn't have been placed where it is. Sometimes the barn owls will intimidate and or eat the bats. Best to have the two in much different places.

/ Gable and side wall overhang....necessary or not? #29  
yep that is a bat house on the right side, in the photo. On the left side is an owl box. We have had moderate success with this owl box so far,it took them a while to find it, two years to be exact. We have had a nesting pair the last two years.

The bat box really shouldn't have been placed where it is. Sometimes the barn owls will intimidate and or eat the bats. Best to have the two in much different places.

Thanks!

We have a wood duck pair that returns to our pond to mate each spring and then essentially fades away into the woods- they make great neighbors. A couple of times they have returned to let their little ones go for a swim, something we are always happy to see. I have thought of putting up a nesting box for them, but there doesn't seem to be any need.

What kind of owls nest in your nest box?

We know we have had a little screech owl living nearby, because as our house wss being built, the former owners got some pictures of him roosting in the rafters under the ground floor before the floor decking had been laid down. We also saw a really big white owl flying one winter night- it wss pure chance that we turned on the flodlight as he swooped down. Is there a best way to get them to find the box?

To return to thread-related topics, the benefit of wider eaves is made obvious by your pictures, the siding protected by the overhang of your eaves has very little weathering, and no water staining or damage, in contrast, below that where the wood no longer in the rain (and sun) shadow created by the eaves, the weathering and water damage is easily seen.

This why we are trying to extend at least the side wall eaves on our house another 16" to get to a 36 total overhang (not counting the gutter) when we get it re-roofed later this year- if we can find any way at all to afford it.

With a log house, a 3-foot overhang should have been there in the first place, but the guy who built this house had never built a log home before, and he also isn't much of a reader, so when he built it, he did it the way he built the other houses he had built. He was building it for himself and then ran out of money, and decided to sell it. That sort of left us holding the bag, so as things like the roof and components breakdown and/or wear out, we're trying ro remediate the shortcomings.

As a result of his cheaping out, on so many things, this house gives me periodic reminders about how much easier and cheaper it ends up being in the long run to spend the money, time, and effort to do things the right, or at least the best way possible in the first place.

The evolution of his realization that he was spending too much is often visible in the quality of work evidenced.... as in the early stages- foundation, log wall construction, framing, and roofing, he overbuilt everything. But many things in the finish details were either left only partly finished or finished in a half-a$$ed manner.

Oh well, C'est la vie....
Thomas

/ Gable and side wall overhang....necessary or not? #30  
In some areas of the country you cannot legally install powered electric attic fans. Power Attic Ventilators Banned by New Georgia Energy Code

Some folks just spray foam against the roof deck to keep the hot air out.

The barn I built using 6x6 poles has 2 foot overhangs. It does sometimes help keep the weather from blowing in the doors. I need to do gutters now that I installed proper soffit and fascia this summer 18 years after building the barn. I did have fascia but I covered it with low maintenance vinyl.