pole barn squareness?

/ pole barn squareness? #1  

mopower440

Gold Member
Tractor
lawntractor only
wondering how far out of square this can be without becoming a big problem? when i measure from corner to corner, its
1 1/2 inches off, is this a huge deal? poles are already buried and 2 walls are up..

/ pole barn squareness? #2  
The biggest problem will be cutting the tin to fit properly.

Out of square will mean the prefabricated square cut sheets of tin will need to be massaged to get the proper fit. Not a big deal, and is quite common.

By taking the appropriate time up front to set up plumb, level and square, dividends will be paid during the duration of the project.

Of course this is easier said than done.

Good luck,

Yooper Dave

/ pole barn squareness? #3  
I've helped put up a few and we always get the variance between the 2 diagonals under an inch. Better to spend a few hours now than many hours later, cutting all the sheet goods or living with a jagged overhang.

/ pole barn squareness? #4  
1 1/2" out of square corner to corner, not bad at all, especially if the four corner posts are pumb, nice job on your first pole barn /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ pole barn squareness?
you mean 1 1/2" isnt bad? Heck, i thought i was headed towards disaster!!..lol.. i feel better now, hopefully the rest will be fine.

/ pole barn squareness? #6  
That's why I farmed out setting the posts and rafters!!! I knows me limitations!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Did a 20 x 30 horse barn and when I checked the measurements they had it all within a 1/4 inch. No way I would have gotten that square. Sure made the rest of the project a lot easier.

/ pole barn squareness? #7  
>The biggest problem will be cutting the tin to fit properly.

Yes. I saw a indoor arena go up around here a few years ago. I noticed on one end of the roof it skipped over 2 1/2 ribs from top to bottom (that's like 22"). This was done by a professional outfit.

I've never done a building that big, but I took my time with my 34x48x10 pole barn and measured every thing twice. Yes, setting those poles accurately is a major pain, but like Dave says it'll pay off in the long run. I had no problem with squareness when I put my tin on.

/ pole barn squareness? #8  
Being as two walls are up, It's a done deal . But I doubt if the casual observer will ever notice it . John
Ps I do have a ? though . How did you get two walls up before noticing it ? Is it out of square or is it ouit of plumb ?

/ pole barn squareness? #9  
Depending on how large the barn is will determine on how bad a situation you're in. If a 30X40 I wouldn't be that concerned, if a 10x10 ,I'd start all over. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ pole barn squareness?
its a 24x30, i dont know, we checked it several times and it was fine, then after the 2 walls are up, its out 1 1/2", so i dont know, heres a pic so far..
200312156061771935037939.jpg