anyone heard of "superpack" - crusher run material? supposed to be superior?

/ anyone heard of "superpack" - crusher run material? supposed to be superior? #11  
Re: anyone heard of "superpack" - crusher run material? supposed to be superior?

Hard pak or superpak or whatever local name it is given is usually 3/4" minus stone mixed with stone dust. The crushing process creates more dust then they can sell as concrete and paving stone needs to have it removed for quality control. They try to sell as much of this excess as they can for driveways and shoulder gravel. Some of it is more "super"then others as it has less dust and more stone. If you can see a sample before you buy look for a product that will have about half of its weight stay on a quarter inch screen. If your not digging out the old drive and just adding on another layer the contractor should be able to measure your drive and give you a hard quote in writing before you start. It is when you dig out the old that you might uncover some soft or organic soil that isn't strong enough when wet. Then you need a price per yard to dig out this poor soil and replace it with sand.

/ anyone heard of "superpack" - crusher run material? supposed to be superior? #12  
I wouldnt do it without it in writing,no surprises.

Well with materials I understand; but I don't like to pay by the hour for a large ooperation. If it's just one guy, a dozer and 1 load per 2 hours; your time could really add up vs 20 loads on the ground ready to push when he gets there... and there isn't as much of an incentive to do it quickly if they know it's by the hour

/ anyone heard of "superpack" - crusher run material? supposed to be superior? #13  
Re: anyone heard of "superpack" - crusher run material? supposed to be superior?

A big NO to a verbal estimate and figure out a bill when its all done? Sounds kind of fishy to me.

/ anyone heard of "superpack" - crusher run material? supposed to be superior? #14  
A big NO to a verbal estimate and figure out a bill when its all done? Sounds kind of fishy to me.

Generally yes, but a lot oof equipment work is done by the hour. I would want a actual figure per hour and an estimate on number of hours required. It can be hard for a contractor to do a true bid when there is no plan, and just a quick look and some general talking about what you both expect.

Make sure you both are on the same page about what you want. The price to dump rock vs spreading it vs spread and finish shape and roll, ect.

For a 2000 foot drive, your talking about a lot of rock/base/"hardpak" or whatever; so you will want a price per ton, delivered. Better yet, get a price per ton spread and shaped (or what ever you want, but finished product). (2000 ft x 10 ft /9 Sq ft) x600 lbs/Sq yard. 6" of base will be 670 tons; or right around 30 mini wheeler loads.

/ anyone heard of "superpack" - crusher run material? supposed to be superior? #15  

If the guy can't give a simple hard number for a 1000 ft driveway, he doesn't deserve to be in business. Just say NO!

I just gave five separate quotes with different options for a roadbase / crushed stone and drainage project for a 2300'x14' private street today. It took me an hour. It ain't rocket science.

/ anyone heard of "superpack" - crusher run material? supposed to be superior? #16  

Agree with RDrancher if this is what he does for a living get him to shoot you a figure. To late to determine the cost as you go along.

/ anyone heard of "superpack" - crusher run material? supposed to be superior? #17  

I'm here in Georgia...I have never heard of Super Pack....I think I'd get with a couple of other gravel haulers...call your local quarry and ask them about this super pack and ask for a good hauler to haul and spread it from his truck bed for you....I have used Crusher Run for years...and it packs like concrete ..make sure it is wet to pack it....Be careful with that fella...Good Luck.

Right on. My 20 ft wide x 330 ft long driveway was installed 9 years ago--crusher run. Six inches thick, three 2" thick lifts, each lift watered and rolled with a self-propelled vibrator. Cost me nearly $3K but it's like concrete. So far the maintenance cost has been zero. No ruts. Just spray the edges with Roundup to keep the weeds down.

/ anyone heard of "superpack" - crusher run material? supposed to be superior? #18  

Right on. My 20 ft wide x 330 ft long driveway was installed 9 years ago--crusher run. Six inches thick, three 2" thick lifts, each lift watered and rolled with a self-propelled vibrator. Cost me nearly $3K but it's like concrete. So far the maintenance cost has been zero. No ruts. Just spray the edges with Roundup to keep the weeds down.

Yep same thing here 1/4 mile driveway done as you describe over 15 yrs. ago and we have no ruts...we use a different weed & grass killer from HD on line and spray the edges once a year and it is just great...

/ anyone heard of "superpack" - crusher run material? supposed to be superior? #19  

FWIW...
There are a few different rock quarries around here that all sell crusher run...but they are all not approved for use by the DOT...Think it has something to do with the fineness modulus which relates to its packing ability...

/ anyone heard of "superpack" - crusher run material? supposed to be superior? #20  

FWIW...
There are a few different rock quarries around here that all sell crusher run...but they are all not approved for use by the DOT...Think it has something to do with the fineness modulus which relates to its packing ability...
That and the hardness of the parent rock they are crushing. The test is call L.A. wear test. Put rock and steal balls in a revolving drum and see how much gets pounded to powder over a number of revolutions. Soft rock wears more then fifty percent.