Refurbising splitting wedges

/ Refurbising splitting wedges #1  

Paul Thornton

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800 HST w/ FEL
Have several splitting wedges which have been beaten to the point of being useless. I was thinking of putting a cutting wheel on my grinder and trimming them. Has any one any ideas or suggestions? L2800 w/FEL - 72" Land Pride rake

Attachments

• image-397545206.jpg
    image-397545206.jpg
    599.9 KB · Views: 194
   / Refurbising splitting wedges #2  
I've ground off the mess before - then ran some stick welds around them.

Worked fine - have at it in my opinion :)

/ Refurbising splitting wedges #3  
They should never be let go to that point. They should have been dressed when they started to mushroom.
They should be cut/ground back as normal maintenance.

/ Refurbising splitting wedges
Thanks for the replies, I'll have at them with the grinder. I inherited these from my FIL. I have two more that look just the same, couldn't bring myself to throw them out.

L2800 w/FEL - 72" Land Pride rake

/ Refurbising splitting wedges #5  
I'd put a thin cutoff wheel in your handgrinder and cut from the backside to take most of that off without generating any heat. Then you could dress it up on a grinding wheel.

/ Refurbising splitting wedges #6  
I'd put a thin cutoff wheel in your handgrinder and cut from the backside to take most of that off without generating any heat. Then you could dress it up on a grinding wheel.
2X
Exactly what I have done.

/ Refurbising splitting wedges #7  
I found a wedge that looked like yours. Used a cutting torch to trim the mushroomed edges. Easy and quick.

/ Refurbising splitting wedges #8  
After you grind them into shape paint them orange so you will be able to find them in the woods.