Well for pond setup

/ Well for pond setup
Just to clarify as I see most of you have a concern about contamination of the well. I'm planning to install the pipe above the maximum pond water level. No physical contact with the pond water so not a chance of backflow in the well, even I don't understand how the water can climb the hill. I attached some pictures for reference to show where is the well relative with the pond.

The crew finished digging on Friday and the depth of the well is 120ft, the static water level is at 28ft and the bedrock at 40ft. I asked them why they dag so deep, and they said, they were looking for a flow over 15GPM. I have to trust them as I don't have any experience with wells. I hope they didn't do it as a money grab. Anyhow, quite expensive well so far at a cost of 40$/foot but the good think is they suggested to use the same well for house which we are planing to be at 200 ft from well.

On Monday they will finish to clean the well but they have a concern about the bedrock quality because at the first flash a lot of debris was coming out. The recommendation was to install a liner up to the bottom but that is quite expensive; quoted at 25$/foot. Hope I don't need it, as already this well is over the budged, so I'm planning to install the pump above the bedrock where the flow is around 10GPM.

As we are off the grid, I'm planing to use solar well pumps and so far the candidate is Grundfos, series SQFlex model (Well Pump, Solar Pump, Wind Pump: SQFlex | Grundfos). Just wondering if somebody has any good/bad words about this brand.

Attachments

• IMG_0763.jpg
    IMG_0763.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0766.jpg
    IMG_0766.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 140
   / Well for pond setup #12  
Unfortunatelly our pond doesn't want to fill up to the top

Looking at the pics of your pond, I'm wondering how it holds water with all that rock? Is this normal for ponds in your area and if so, do they hold water?

Eddie

/ Well for pond setup
Looking at the pics of your pond, I'm wondering how it holds water with all that rock? Is this normal for ponds in your area and if so, do they hold water?

Eddie

Yeep, it's clay with rocks. So far it's just 6ft deep and I need another 4-5ft to fill it up. My east and west neighbors have filled ponds up to the top. For mine, I think the water table is quite low and not a chance from rain or snow. We have just two major rain this year and the pond gained maybe 3".

/ Well for pond setup #14  
Nice looking pond. If your pond gained from rain water, at least you know the bottom is well sealed.

I have experience with Grundfos pumps - around here they are the Cadillac of pumps - and quite expensive. They are used where longevity is a concern.

/ Well for pond setup
around here they are the Cadillac of pumps - and quite expensive. They are used where longevity is a concern.

Cadillac of pumps you said. Yep, they quoted at 3200$ :eek:

/ Well for pond setup #16  
Ha, ha - - Eddie, I thought of doing the same thing for my lake(5 acres of open water, 5 acres of shallow water & cattails). I did the math and found that the total volume of my house well would be like standing on the cliff, over the lake, and spitting in the lake. And my house well produces 75 gpm. So, I gave up on that long ago. Besides, my lake fluctuates only 12 inches over a year period.View attachment 382549

And your suggestion, called an air gap, IS the easiest method to handle the situation.
Beautiful pond. Pictures are obviously deceiving. It doesn't look like 5 acres. Lots of fish in it? Looks like a great place to wet a line.