Water line trench

/ Water line trench #1  

MoMower

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey GC1710.
Looking for input... Will be trenching for a water line to the barn, 170 feet or so for the run, 2-3 feet deep. Will be burying Pex 1/2 line and running to a frost free hydrant.

So this being the first actual trench project I am taking on what do I need to know, what should I look out for? My MF GC 1710 BH will be completing the job. TIA.

Sent from my idrankthekoolaid device c/o TractorByNet

/ Water line trench #2  
In my soil using the backhoe makes a lot of extra work because I have to use at least an 18" bucket or else the adobe soil just compacts in the bucket.

I've found a Ditch Witch makes quick work of most trenching projects and even the walk behinds can go 30" deep.

/ Water line trench #3  
You might want to up your pex tubing to 3/4". I ran a 150' x 3/4" line for my hydrant and lost some pressure and flow. I think 1/2" would lose a lot.
Dave

/ Water line trench #4  
3/4" line. At least 30" deep, 36" even better.

At the hydrant, fill with gravel to drain away water.

/ Water line trench #5  
I think the line needs to be a bit deeper. I try and get mine down about 42" as I'm in pa as well. Also, make a pa one call just to cover your butt. I'm assuming you live in the country but it's hard to say where a gas line might be buried.

/ Water line trench #6  
I agree with increasing the line size. I think I've used 1" for runs to the barn and I wouldn't go any smaller. Smaller size really restricts the flow.

Check with your local building codes for the minimum depth to avoid freezing. 2' sounds shallow, I think we are 3' minimum here. I know we lucked out here, there is a rock layer all the way back to the barn at about 42" :)

/ Water line trench #7  
If you have decent water pressure at the house, a half in line should be fine. The wonderful thing about PEX is that it can freeze and it wont rupture like other lines will, so you should be fine at just a few feet. If you can drive over the ditch after you dig it, you should be fine compacting the soil with your tires driving in the ditch. Problem with a trencher is the trench is so narrow, it's impossible to compact and you are always adding dirt to it over time as it settles. I have a trencher and love it because of how quickly I can dig a trench. I hate that after it's all said and done, months later, that I find spots where I need to add dirt.

Eddie

/ Water line trench #8  
If you have decent water pressure at the house, a half in line should be fine. The wonderful thing about PEX is that it can freeze and it wont rupture like other lines will, so you should be fine at just a few feet. If you can drive over the ditch after you dig it, you should be fine compacting the soil with your tires driving in the ditch. Problem with a trencher is the trench is so narrow, it's impossible to compact and you are always adding dirt to it over time as it settles. I have a trencher and love it because of how quickly I can dig a trench. I hate that after it's all said and done, months later, that I find spots where I need to add dirt.

Eddie

PEX can freeze and can burst!!! there are different type of pex pipe out there!! some made for direct burial in the ground, while others are not.

when folks say 1/2" 3/4" etc... i could care less about that. what i care about is the INSIDE DIAMETER of the pipe. big difference. if running water out to shed i would suggest 1" pipe size. 3/4" is pushing it for min, 1.25 hhmsss ok. 1.5 pushing upper side of max inside diameter. 1" inside diameter most likely good to go.

===========
with above said....
block poly pipe is the cheapest and easiest to install. some barb fittings and some pipe clamps and away you go. and all major hardware stores should have some on hand. though at 170' you may be looking at either a 200 or 250' roll of pipe. which may need to be order.

/ Water line trench #9  
Even if pex can freeze without bursting, who wants a frozen line to a "frost free" hydrant.

I dont know why anyone would go that shallow in PA or other northern climate.

Agree go bigger pipe too. There is friction along the pipe wall. Do it once and do it right. Min 3/4" . 1" better.

/ Water line trench #10  
My little JD 870 tire worked great for compacting the Ditch Witch trench we made to bury electrical conduit, 3/4" water pipe and 1/2" communications conduit. I do not recall seeing any significant settling but I did that project was 17 years ago so my memory could be faulty.