My new construction thread

/ My new construction thread
Looks like you are planning on some interior masonry walls?

Dare I ask what that ~2' wide L-shaped slot is for? (bottom center of last pic)

Going to have a 'wine cellar' or 'food storage' room under the front porch. That L shaped thing had a bad angle Jen I took the pic. It is going to be a storm cellar type entrance with stairs down so I can get access to the utility room and also I will fence that east side so dog can have access in and out to a run when I'm gone. I wanted that door to be walkout but after seeing how much grading was going to be required, I decided to just dig it down in that one spot and basically have a poured retaining wall.

A few more grading pics.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

/ My new construction thread #23  
I sure like the idea of the food storage area. Could it double as a storm shelter?

Eddie

I sure like the idea of the food storage area. Could it double as a storm shelter?

Eddie
Yes it can certainly be a storm shelter as well.
After some more delays we are finally starting framing tomorrow.

/ My new construction thread #25  
Is that a GSD? I sometimes referred to a toy in the mouth as a pacifier!

Looking good, looking forward to updates.

Is that a GSD? I sometimes referred to a toy in the mouth as a pacifier!

Looking good, looking forward to updates.

Yeah she will be 5 in December. I get the pacifier thing, always looking for something to put in her mouth. She always grabs shoes and moves them. At least she doesn't chew on them or anything else. Just carries them around.

A few framing pictures. We can't catch a break from the rain.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

/ My new construction thread #28  
Interesting. I've never done any type or work building a basement or walkout basement, so this is all new to me. What is the reasoning to not pouring concrete for the floor before framing? Is the gravel part of a drainage plan to remove water that might come in from under the building or the surrounding hillside? Are you using pressure treated wood for your sill plates?

Your framers know what they are doing. I do my headers the other way around, I like to have my cripple studs above the header and solid wood over the window. Both ways are right, but with solid wood over the window, you can hang anything you want for a window treatment and always have wood to attach I to. When doing 2x6 walls, I like to add another layer of plywood and 2x to make it flush. Strength wise, it's a waste of money since you don't need it structurally, it's just a small expense that makes me feel better.

Congrats on your progress, I'm looking forward to see more of it!! :)

Eddie

Thanks. We don't pour the floor till the end so we can put plumbing and whatever else we want under it first. The gravel is code here and it acts as a capillary break, so basically like you said, in case it gets wet under slab. Sill plates are pressure treated. Hoping for more nice weather as the rain has put us behind a bit.

/ My new construction thread #30  
Yeah she will be 5 in December. I get the pacifier thing, always looking for something to put in her mouth. She always grabs shoes and moves them. At least she doesn't chew on them or anything else. Just carries them around.

Beautiful pup, I can tell she's having the most fun. It is "her job" to carry something.
Love watching the build develop. It is so different than construction around here. If you told a local contractor you wanted a basement, he'd have to go look it up in the dictionary.