Need to run electric for NINE water trough heaters

/ Need to run electric for NINE water trough heaters #21  
There is a lot of concern about cost on the part of the OP/daughter; have you looked at the monthly cost of running the proposed nine heaters? At 50% duty cycle at my rates it is $800/month. I'd be making sure you're not heating it any more than necessary and looking very closely at any "no energy" options. I personally know little about the subject or other options, just pointing out that electric heaters running outside are expensive!

/ Need to run electric for NINE water trough heaters
Thanks JCByrd. I'm the OP. My son in law did the math yesterday and calculated about $2500 or more each winter for the heaters. It's a lot of money but you either do that or like you said get energy less wateters. We are looking at them also.

In Michigan we horse people just pay what we have to keep the beasts alive. Lol.

There is a lot of concern about cost on the part of the OP/daughter; have you looked at the monthly cost of running the proposed nine heaters? At 50% duty cycle at my rates it is $800/month. I'd be making sure you're not heating it any more than necessary and looking very closely at any "no energy" options. I personally know little about the subject or other options, just pointing out that electric heaters running outside are expensive!

/ Need to run electric for NINE water trough heaters #23  
Why do all the heaters have to be powered? If it is freezing you are feeding. We feed at convenient fields (closer) and drain the remote tanks.

Last edited:
Why do all the heater have to be powered? If it is freezing you are feeding. We feed at convenient fields (closer) and drain the remote tanks.

Good point. That's what I would do. I'm going to suggest this and other things to my daughter tomorrow. Neither of us thought the installation would be so expensive but I did know what the operating expenses would be.

My daughter is pretty particular about how she wants to run the farm. Hopefully she will listen to Dad a bit.

/ Need to run electric for NINE water trough heaters #25  
Good point. That's what I would do. I'm going to suggest this and other things to my daughter tomorrow.

Another reason to keep the tank up closer is if you lose power in the winter. We're kind of like a third world country here, we lose power every few weeks. Hauling hot water to a close trough is bad enough, hauling it out to a field would be a real project.

/ Need to run electric for NINE water trough heaters #26  
Why do all the heater have to be powered? If it is freezing you are feeding. We feed at convenient fields (closer) and drain the remote tanks.

This was my thought also. In the summer, sure the horses will need constant access to water but not as much in winter. Let them drink when you bring them up to feed.

I can't get a good look at the diagram on my phone but is it possible to put the waterers within the fences so that they could be accessed from either side thus reducing the number needed? That's what we did on the beef farm I grew up on, every water bowl did 2 pens

I didn't draw the pasture fence as actually installed. Each water tank is on a fence line and shared.

/ Need to run electric for NINE water trough heaters #28  
Howdy,
Energy-free waterers work for horses. Don't listen to someone that says they don't. When they are thirsty, they will use it.

Behlen Country super 2 hole waterer
Miraco mira-fount waterer
Cobett waterers
Thermosink single waterer
Drinking Post Waterer
Ritchiefount energyfree waterer
and I am sure there are many others.

Yes, the initial cost will be high, but in the end, easy access to water anytime of year. A lot of the installed locations can be shut off from up top to a curb stop drain valve located way at the bottom of your waterer. In other words, just because a waterer is there, does not mean it needs to be filled and working all year. Crowd the horses together. I understand wanting to run electricity a long distance. The cost of the wire will be prohibitive.

Winter time use, and have a frost free hydrant nearby for a water tub use during warmer times when they are masked.

/ Need to run electric for NINE water trough heaters #29  
Howdy,
Energy-free waterers work for horses. Don't listen to someone that says they don't. When they are thirsty, they will use it.

Behlen Country super 2 hole waterer
Miraco mira-fount waterer
Cobett waterers
Thermosink single waterer
Drinking Post Waterer
Ritchiefount energyfree waterer
and I am sure there are many others.

Yes, the initial cost will be high, but in the end, easy access to water anytime of year. A lot of the installed locations can be shut off from up top to a curb stop drain valve located way at the bottom of your waterer. In other words, just because a waterer is there, does not mean it needs to be filled and working all year. Crowd the horses together. I understand wanting to run electricity a long distance. The cost of the wire will be prohibitive.

Winter time use, and have a frost free hydrant nearby for a water tub use during warmer times when they are masked.
We are using 2 of the 2 hole Ritchiefount waterers that are insulated and make use of ground heat to prevent freezing. We use these here in Virginia with no problem. -- Each one serves 2 pastures. -- We have not had to add any supplemental heat nor any maintenance over 5yrs. In Michigan supplemental heat would likely be needed, but only lo wattage would be required due to the insulated reservoir.
,,,, OP, Have you taken a good look at this type of option?
larry

We are using 2 of the 2 hole Ritchiefount waterers that are insulated and make use of ground heat to prevent freezing. We use these here in Virginia with no problem. -- Each one serves 2 pastures. -- We have not had to add any supplemental heat nor any maintenance over 5yrs. In Michigan supplemental heat would likely be needed, but only lo wattage would be required due to the insulated reservoir.
,,,, OP, Have you taken a good look at this type of option?
larry

Hi Larry,

Yes we are looking at Richie and Drinking Post. You're right, in Michigan we would need the supplemental heat but as you say, it uses less energy due to the insulation. The Ritchie Eco unit with 2 bowls cost $815 each, the 1 bowl versions, less money.

I like the idea of the Drinking Post because it does not store water above the frost line so it doesn't need any wiring nor energy.

We'll see. I'm going to speak to my daughter today and see if she is willing to try 3 or 4 drinking posts, and concentrate the horses during the winter.
See attached diagram. 4 small paddocks with a waterer in the center. Someone earlier mentioned something similar.

Attachments

• Jennys Alternate for Water.jpg
    Jennys Alternate for Water.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 70