Shadowing out a toolbox

/ Shadowing out a toolbox #1  

MossRoad

Super Moderator
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
I've recently switched careers from I.T. to maintenance. So, I had to buy my own tools, toolbox, etc... I trained with a retired military mechanic, who's made his living with his tools for a long, long time. He has a very nice toolbox, tools, etc... and they are organized to a T. He shadowed out his toolbox so each tool has its own space in the drawer, kind of like when your dad outlined everything on a pegboard in the garage, so he could see what's missing. It saves time and keeps things in their place when we wheel our boxes around the plant. So I started on my toolbox in my spare time. I thought this might be interesting for some of you. I found this foam product and ordered some. After a little practice, I like it.

Kaizen Foam - FastCap - Woodworking Tools

Here's some pictures of my first drawer.

Attachments

• MossShadow1.JPG
    MossShadow1.JPG
    935.3 KB · Views: 2,860
   / Shadowing out a toolbox
What I like about that foam product I purchased is that its multi-layered and its pretty easy to just cut around the tool with a good, thin razor, then peel out layers until the tool fits nice. They recommend using a marker to go around the tool, then cut inside the marker line for a good tight fit, but I found it just as easy to hold the tool down to the foam with one hand and go around with the razor knife with the other.

As you can see from the photo where my inspection mirrors are out, its a multi-level hole to fit the tool. Same thing for the screwdrivers.

/ Shadowing out a toolbox
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention it was about $15.00 for a sheet that was 2' x 4', which was enough to do three drawers that were 22" x 15". So only about $5 per drawer! Cheap investment. :thumbsup:

/ Shadowing out a toolbox #6  
I LOVE IT! Our plant does 5S and things likes this with tools for helping employees setup up machinery too. Problem at home is that I would need two more tool boxes to spread out all my tools like that. Still looks very nice and I'm sure convenient. Where did you buy the foam? I'd like to organize my socket set like this to help keep the MM and Inch sizes separated better.

/ Shadowing out a toolbox #7  
A place for everything and everything in its place!

/ Shadowing out a toolbox #8  
Very nice!, and very well organized.:thumbsup:

/ Shadowing out a toolbox #9  
OH NO, Tool Control!!! I worked for the Airforce at a Depot and we had to inlay all our tools to make sure we didn't loose or leave a tool inside an airplane or component. This is a good way to quickly view and spot missing tools along with an inventory sheet. There are some 2 color sheets of foam to show contrast when the tool is not there.