Started rebuilding my shop!

/ Started rebuilding my shop! #11  
Re: Rebuilt pic 2

You can't fool me........ I know that is just another dog house for when you misbehave..... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Started rebuilding my shop!
Progress on day 2

Got a LOT done today! Check it out. Pete

Attachments

• 356367-For TBN.jpg
    356367-For TBN.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 374
   / Started rebuilding my shop! #13  
Re: Progress on day 2

Pete:

What are you going to do with the roof?

I was always under the impression that you can't lay shingles in cold weather because the shingle tabs won't adhere without warm temperature to activate the adhesive?

Daryl -- I'm going with metal roofing. The dull galvanized stuff that sheds snow like crazy. The older I get, the less I enjoy raking and shoveling rooflines. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

And I was going to keep the woodstove in the same corner, but in thinking it over it makes sense to center it on one end or the other, running the metalbestos pipe through the roof near the peak instead of further down where it'll catch snow.

Spent all of New Year's Day using a demo hammer to remove the remains of the old stone fireplace. Took eight hours, and fourteen FEL bucketloads of stone were removed! That thing was massive! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Pete

/ Started rebuilding my shop! #15  

Looking good Pete.

Worked all New years Day. Must have been quiet on New years eve.

Just as a note of interest; don't be standing under the roof edge when a deposit of snow decides to let go.

Egon

/ Started rebuilding my shop! #16  
This thread has changed Subject titles so many times, I thought I'd get it back on track.

/ Started rebuilding my shop! #17  

Pete:

I am a metal roof fan too.

When Amy and I put up our mare barn about 5 years ago, I put on a metal roof. I used galvanized Grand Rib 3 over osb sheathing with 100 pound felt in between.

Myself and a friend laid the roof in one day. We both got a terrible sunburn. The galvanized roof reflects sunlight in a bad way. Sort of like a solar oven and we were the meat that was cooking. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I ordered the galv., in exact lengths from the eaves to the ridge so we had no laps. I used neoprene washered drive screws. The hardest thing was cutting the end sheets. I used a regular circular saw with a plywood blade. For a fence I used a 14 foot 2x4 clamped to the sheet. I had to wear ear plugs and needless to say, the blade was scrap afterward.

I think I only changed batteries in my 18 volt DeWalt drill driver once. The hot tin kept the battery jumping. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Looking good Pete.

Worked all New years Day. Must have been quiet on New years eve.

Just as a note of interest; don't be standing under the roof edge when a deposit of snow decides to let go.

Egon )</font>

With all our chores, New Years is always quiet at the Burke house! But you're right; this year was particularly quiet! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And I hear you about the snow dump off a metal roof! Ditto about parking near an ice dam when the weather warms. I parked next to the house last week when the weather warmed up as I didn't want to walk thru the rain. About an hour later I heard a horrible thud that shook the house and ran out to find...a twenty foot long ice dam had dropped from the house and missed our car by less than a foot! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Pete

Dave -- I know that bugs some people, but in cases like this it also helps organize things chronologically. Pete

/ Started rebuilding my shop! #20  
Got a kick out of your 'quote', Gatorboy! 10 kinds of people!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif