Started rebuilding my shop!

/ Started rebuilding my shop! #21  
Re: Progress on day 2

Hi Pete, this sounds like another good reason for a TBN get together!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Have to break in the new shop and what better way then to fill it with tractor stories and maybe a little something to drink also!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Boy it looks nice. Bet you can't wait until it's done.
Take care!

/ Started rebuilding my shop! #22  
Why not just tack on Day2 or Day3 at the end of the title, so that the main subject stays the same? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'd like to follow your post, too. Looks good, so far. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Started rebuilding my shop!
Shop rebuild insulation question

I was all set to use that spray-in insulation on the roofline, with 6" between the rafters. But now that I've decided to include a loft for lumber storage instead of tucking the boards way up in the "attic" space, the extra expense of the foam doesn't seem like such a deal. If I drywall in the cathedral ceiling and install R38 fiberglass up there I could save $1000.

If it was my house I would go with the foam. But this is a 16x28' shop. With good insulation, that woodstove of mine will get it toasty warm in no time. Heck, even with the missing insulation before the refab, I had to open the door in the dead of winter lest I pass out from the heat!

What would you guys do?

Pete

/ Started rebuilding my shop! #25  
Re: Shop rebuild insulation question

Hmm. Save a thousand bucks and still be warm enough...let me think... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Hmm. Save a thousand bucks and still be warm enough... )</font>

When you put it that way, it makes a lot of sense. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif But then we have this little ice dam problem up here in Vermont. Sounds like the foam (hot roofing) would be a much better way of avoiding them forever...

Pete

/ Started rebuilding my shop! #27  

Pete,
It's a little confusing to me about where you are planning to put the insulation. If you make an attic, and insulate the ceiling under the loft floor, you'll have a cold attic and cold roof. If you insulate the roof between the rafters you should still have a cold roof (or else you're heating the outside and the insulation isn't doing its job). Maybe I'm missing something though.

Sorry. Two options:

1) Hot roofing: spraying foam between the rafters right up against the wooden sheathing with no air gap. All the hot air is kept inside the structure, with no venting. In addition to the ice dam question, I'm also wondering how foam stands up to age and especially the heat directly above the woodstove.

2) Conventional insulation: no insulation between the rafters. R38 insulation between the ceiling joists with the void above that vented at the gable ends or via a ridge vent.

Hope this clarifies. Pete

Re: Shop rebuild end of week 1

Got the building sheathed and the vapor barrier up. Ice shield is partly up. Windows went in today. Soffits are in. Will cut the passthru for the Metalbestos stovepipe this afternoon. Metal roofing is onsite as is the trim. Should have the shiplap for the exterior soon and will install that soon as the weather permits. The forecast high for tomorrow is 3 degrees, so I might work on the inside. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Have I mentioned how tiring this is? I go to bed exhausted at 9, but wake up at 2am itching to get going again! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Pete

Attachments

• 358726-Jan6Oblique2.JPG
    358726-Jan6Oblique2.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 211
   / Started rebuilding my shop! #30  
Re: Shop rebuild end of week 1

Pete, your project looks great but slow down. You're making some of us look bad by getting so much done so soon. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif