tent or carport

/ tent or carport #21  
People have been putting this carport up for several years, from what I'm told. 18x21 delivered and installed on your level pad $695. They usually wait until they have a few in the same general area then a truck load of Mexicans shows up and builds all of them.

http://ajautoinc.net/

/ tent or carport #22  
People have been putting this carport up for several years, from what I'm told. 18x21 delivered and installed on your level pad $695. They usually wait until they have a few in the same general area then a truck load of Mexicans shows up and builds all of them.

http://ajautoinc.net/

Yup. Pretty popular and inexpensive option. The 2 Mexican gentlemen that delivered and installed mine were from out of state, driving a brand new Dually, and took 2 days to erect it....and did a great job. I lurked around the site, not to interfere, but curious about the build.....they were professional enough to point out my plot wasn't quite level, and gave me a few options to consider. Would (and may) do it again.

/ tent or carport #23  
The three Mexicans that came to install mine did a great job, had it up in about 45 mins. The only problem was they came as it was getting dark, and their dually had lost its transmission fluid plug. I ran around as they installed it to find them transmission fluid. It was installed when I got back and its so much sturdier then I thought.

/ tent or carport #24  
I need to get this done before winter. I've got to cover my tractor. Right now I'm using a tarp. I can't decide on either a metal carport, or a tent. The tent would be about 600.00, shelter logic or Rhino. The carport woud be about $1000.00. The carport would be turnkey, I'd have to put up the tent.
I say metal carport.More sturdy if you have any type of snow load.

/ tent or carport #25  
Snow, wind and sun will destroy a canvas carport. Sometime violently and damage tractor / nearby buildings if it gets loose of its moorings.

Last edited:
   / tent or carport #26  
I'm going with a carport. Seems like that's the preferred shelter. 18'x21', should house my tractor, quad, logsplitter. I'm excavating now, it's not a good site, 13" pitch from the low point. I figure I'll lay two 2' parrallel strips of 3/4" stone to lay the carport rails on. Much bigger job than I thought!

Thats about what I had to work with, I splurged and used 20 tons of 3/4 to level it up, ended up with a fairly level 22x28 pad to set the 18x21 structure on. I had the sides enclosed and left the ends open, we put one up just like it in 2000 for hay storage and it still is sound and looks good, humid mid Atlantic area.

good luck-------J

/ tent or carport #27  
Carport is nice. Make sure it is designed for the snowload in your area. Pitch on carports is often not very steep and snow will accumulate through several storms. Beef it up if you need to. I have a shelterlogic with the alpine foof, Snow never accumulates. I do have to clear the sides with the blower though. What will give someday is the material, but not for a long time. Gone through two winters, this will be my third. Use it for the tractor.

/ tent or carport #28  
I just put up a shelter logic canopy today. Menards has the 10 wide by 20 long by 8 high one on sale until Sept 1st for $199 after rebate up by me (Wisconsin). I figure for that price it will get me by until I can build an actual shed in a year or two. I am going to add some more anchors to really secure it down. I found it funny that the instructions said with two people it takes two hours. It took my dad and I (and my wife and mom watching and helping a bit) 6 hours with a few rain breaks. It was 90 degrees and humid out so we were moving like snails haha.

/ tent or carport #29  
I just put up a shelter logic canopy today. Menards has the 10 wide by 20 long by 8 high one on sale until Sept 1st for $199 after rebate up by me (Wisconsin). I figure for that price it will get me by until I can build an actual shed in a year or two. I am going to add some more anchors to really secure it down. I found it funny that the instructions said with two people it takes two hours. It took my dad and I (and my wife and mom watching and helping a bit) 6 hours with a few rain breaks. It was 90 degrees and humid out so we were moving like snails haha.

Similar experience here in Upstate NY (think snowbelt between Buffalo and Rochester) and ours lasted through the past 3 years and mostly wind, not snow, was our worst enemy, as we have the one with separate panels for the sides, ends and roof, and we ended up with a balloon effect. This was ended by the posts on the long sides being screwed to 5/4 x 1" PT boards, and having 18" x3" auger anchors at every post and corner held to the posts by rachet tie down straps from HF & TSC. We also screwed all the pipes together with self-drilling screws.

Now that we have the barn, we're hoping to get it the tent garage down before the snow flies again.

If anyone is going the tent way, get extra augers and make sure that you get the one piece tent not the one with all separate panels, it is much sturdier.
Thomas