tent or carport

/ tent or carport #1  

chuck172

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40SEH, Ford 4500TLB, Ford 8n
I need to get this done before winter. I've got to cover my tractor. Right now I'm using a tarp. I can't decide on either a metal carport, or a tent. The tent would be about 600.00, shelter logic or Rhino. The carport woud be about $1000.00. The carport would be turnkey, I'd have to put up the tent.

/ tent or carport #2  
And with a metal carport, you could later add sides, it'll last long than a tent, look better in my opinion, etc. You should get the one YOU like best, but for me it would definitely be the carport.

/ tent or carport #3  
We have a metal carport. I am going to use it a couple of different ways once we build a garage. It can easily become a bandmill shed, or we can bring it near our fire pit and add screen for a screen house, etc. I bought mine off carolina carports they were on ebay and had many different sizes they were cheaper then people are us. I think it took them 30 mins to install it.

/ tent or carport #4  
The carport should outlast 2-3 tents. So, on an average annual cost basis, the carport wins by a large margin.

If this is to get you by until building a garage or shed 2-3 years from now, then the tent wins.

Here, I think I would have to clear the snow off either to keep them from collapsing. Clearing snow would be easier with a tent but the timing would be more critical probably.

/ tent or carport #5  
I'd go for the metal carport. I think the carport steel is stronger than the thin tubing of the tent structures. I had 2 shelter logics 10 x 20 set end to end (40' long) and I can't always be at home when we get a heavy snowfall. I left for work one morning and didn't have time to clear off 3" of snow from the night before. By the time I got home from work 8 1/2 hours later we had another 12" of snow. That amount of weight collapsed the thin tubing structure which came down on the roof of a car I had inside denting the roof.

/ tent or carport #6  
Carport without a doubt.
I'd go for the metal carport. I think the carport steel is stronger than the thin tubing of the tent structures. I had 2 shelter logics 10 x 20 set end to end (40' long) and I can't always be at home when we get a heavy snowfall. I left for work one morning and didn't have time to clear off 3" of snow from the night before. By the time I got home from work 8 1/2 hours later we had another 12" of snow. That amount of weight collapsed the thin tubing structure which came down on the roof of a car I had inside denting the roof.

/ tent or carport #7  

I have never seen a tent around here that didn't go down eventually, just like your experience. Either people get tired of clearing the snow, or they just can't always do it when it has to be done.

I suppose for a tent that is mostly keeping stuff covered for the winter, some simple tubing props could be made up from 2x4's. People say the rounded roof style is more snow tolerant than the gable style.

/ tent or carport #8  
I vote for the metal carport. Polyethylene will break down with UV exposure and turn brittle.

/ tent or carport #9  
Tractor will sweat in a tent. It will do the same in the carport ,but to a smaller degree. Car port. Never had anything last real well outside other than a waterbed bladder. Cut and covered a wood pile with one.

/ tent or carport #10  
FWIW, I'll add my vote for the carport. My Shelter Logic structure collapsed the first winter; there is just no way to hover over it and clear snow vigilantly for 5 months.