advise please: difficult workshop build

/ advise please: difficult workshop build #1  

oldboyscout

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620
I'm trying to build a small workshop on a "pay as I go" budget. I was going to pour a floating slab and put a metal carport/garage (TNT style) on it.
the current problem is I realized I can't get a cement truck closer than about 75'. So I know pouring the pad is going to get expensive.
So I'm wondering if an option would be, to dig postholes and pour piers to put the garage on, and then pour the pad in sections by hand later.
any thoughts?

/ advise please: difficult workshop build #3  
I would pour the slab in 1 section, then cut the relief in. I think it would be very hard to get good results pouring is stages by hand. It could be done. It would be easier to find a solution to getting the concrete the last 75 ft. Do you have a loader for your tractor?

/ advise please: difficult workshop build
concrete buggy-hadn't thought of that. If inured I would be looking at a lot of money for pumping.
I do have a loader, but that would be a lot of trips-wouldn't it? Only a B2620-maybe 1000 lbs safely per trip.

/ advise please: difficult workshop build #5  
I was thinking it would be easier and faster than a wheel barrow! ;)

/ advise please: difficult workshop build #6  
Last edited:
   / advise please: difficult workshop build #7  
How big a slab and how thick? I used the concrete buggy for a 14 X 22 once. It worked fine. Cheaper than a pumper. But you really have to have enough labor available to dedicate one guy to buggy and a couple guys to spread until you get it placed. Then he can help with screeding etc.

They won't wait for slow placement without charging you.

You might ask your ready mix supplier what they recommend.

/ advise please: difficult workshop build
18x24 x 4" (3 1/2?") maybe a little bigger.
I haven't priced pumping, but I heard it's expensive. Everything's expensive here.
I heard about onsite mix also, but it's not available here.

/ advise please: difficult workshop build #9  
18x24 x 4" (3 1/2?") maybe a little bigger.
I haven't priced pumping, but I heard it's expensive. Everything's expensive here.
I heard about onsite mix also, but it's not available here.

I would look into buggies. Im not aware but maybe there's something you could pull with your tractor.

/ advise please: difficult workshop build #10  
Guy here does pumping for $400 for 4 hours. (that is his minimum charge also). Tow behind truck unit, has couple hundred feet of hose. Nice thing about using him is placement is so exact, you can do the pour with just two guys ( in addition to his guy on the hose ). Just screet it as you go, and his guy keeps the concrete right where you need it, but not too much. It's worth paying him just for the ease of pouring.