Advise on new metal barn

/ Advise on new metal barn #11  
When getting estimates, did you find that wood trusses and wall purlins were cheaper than steel?

/ Advise on new metal barn #12  
My shop is 24x48, with 14 foot sidewalls, 12x12 rollup door, a loft and an office...
And it's full.

Go BIG !

Attachments

• 100_0472.jpg
    100_0472.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 172
  • 100_0468.jpg
    100_0468.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 242
   / Advise on new metal barn #13  
bajabum: That is a nice building, about the size I plan to build. Did you buy a Kit, or make your own plans? I do not think I have seen a truss layout like that. Looks like 2 trusses next to each other then a long distance, maybe 10' to the next. Sure looks like a nice layout.
Thanks
John

/ Advise on new metal barn #14  
Certainly you need to allow room for future expansion. Adding shed roof later, whether enclosed or open, is a economical method if you allow for it now in your layout and placement.

/ Advise on new metal barn #15  
Kingrace,
I had a local contractor do it, from scratch, just him and his son.
The rafters are indeed doubled, 12 foot on center.
The building is solid, but he could have done a better job on the floor, not a single expansion joint...
I'm planning on adding wings later.
Like I said, It's full already!

/ Advise on new metal barn
Thanks to all for the thoughtful responses.

Paulharvey - I think I've decided on 26 gauge. I did contact a geotechnical engineer and am waiting on a quote. Hopefully they can advise on the concrete thickness as well as any reinforcement. The only finished walls will be in the workshop/heated areas. Will likely do some kind of wood sheet material I've heard about in the shop and perhaps drywall in the hobby area. I'm still exploring what sort of insulation might be best for the unheated versus heated areas. I'll be running power, water and sewer and will need to think about setup before pouring the foundation.

Height and doors -- Still internally debating about door/ceiling height. 10' high door at a minimum -- but still thinking about how much higher, if any to go. For the two outer buildings I was looking at 20' wide doors and a 12' wide door for the drive through -- might consider the 16' as wmonroe is suggesting.

Boggen - Thanks for the advice on shape. I think I initially went with the T shape in part due to curb appeal. My wife isn't crazy about the barn being larger than the house and is worried it will be the center of attention of the property. I figured the T shape might appeal to her a bit more in this area rather than a straight monolithic rectangle. Also, there is some slope front to back, with more slope the further back you go, so the drive through doesn't work that well if I had to pull straight in from the front and exit the back, as the land would need to be built up quite a bit in the back to accommodate the driveway out the back. The drive through in the front from left to right gives me a level area that would take advantage of an already present driveway area. But I take your point on functionality, so will need to consider and see if I can achieve the curb appeal factor and better functionality at the same time.

Bspeedy - Yes, Pelzer is right around the corner from Easley. I'll definitely consider the rectangle setup as suggested. But as mentioned, just need to consider the appearance and how the drive through might work with the slope.

Kubota6040guy - I was kind of relying on a builder friend and the metal building guy to advise on the trusses and wood/steel materials, but I'll ask now that you bring it up.

/ Advise on new metal barn #17  
Curb appeal is important. If a building this size is too close to the house, your wife is right, it will be the center of attention. But if you can stay maybe 75' away and a little behind the house then the house will still get the first look...well, maybe to the women anyway. :)

/ Advise on new metal barn #18  
huh? *looks out the back window* all the sheds are bigger than my home. you can tell difference between a farmer vs city slicker out in the country more sheds and bigger sheds than home itself. i am actually having problem trying to think were house is bigger than sheds/barns. i would say city slicker women just going to need to figure out how to live with things.

/ Advise on new metal barn #19  
You may want to look at Barmaster or MD for steel barn. Sticker shock is bad but may be cheaper in the end. No cribbing or fire problems.
Plan on insulation no matter what it gets hot down south.
Good Luck
Scott

/ Advise on new metal barn #20  
I have separate barns and sheds. I didn't want fueled items is the same location and proximity as my other interests. Locate a spot for a welding station and shop air and water. Include a bathroom/toilet just for convenience and urgency. Have an outside pad for parking vehicles on for temporary work, extra visitor parking, camper setup and a picnic area. What will you do if wifey wants a few horses ?

All my buildings match the style, materials, and 'flavor' of my home. It looks like someone thought it out instead of just kept adding hodge-podge storage. That means same architecture (brick, concrete block, laminated beams, cedar siding, ranch layout and man caves as FAR from the house as possible. Even the rooflines match in scale.