Solar Pool heater

/ Solar Pool heater #1  

sodamo

Super Star Member
Tractor
LS XR4140H (Mine) BX2380 (wife’s)
Pool is L shaped, about 39k gallons. Not looking to do a major heat, but my thinking is if I can achieve maybe 3 degrees or so above air temp then ought to be pleasant.
Not being in postcard Hawaii, our daytime temps average in 70's. Yearly low, a rare 59 and high of 81. Want to hook a solar heater loop into the pump line. This pump will be solar controlled - if sunny, should be pumping. First attempt at such a project so willing to listen and learn. Yes, a budget project :).
So, I have some 1 inch black poly pipe. Used some pvc fittings to make the turns., fastened with SS clamps (not installed yet on near end) Need to anchor and neaten up, but here is start I got today.
Any suggests/advice/discussion welcome.

image-1345918580.jpg

David Sent from my iPad Air using TractorByNet

/ Solar Pool heater #2  
Make sure all the pipe is UV rated or the sun will rot it.
It looks like you have a in and out manifold. Make sure your in and out are the same diameter as your pump.
Make sure you can drain it when not in use.
Standing water in the black pipes will get well above a temp to burn your skin in a very short time so be careful.
Also, that hot water in the pipes, if dumped on a lawn or landscaping, can kill it, so be aware.

Happy swimming! :thumbsup:

/ Solar Pool heater #3  
To get the highest amount of energy into the pool, design the system to cool the solar array as effectively as possible. Parallel, not series, or a high flow rate, to get the minimum temperature rise through the pipe. Those black poly pipes will work if you have enough length in the sun. Don't put plastic over them for glazing or it will melt the pipe when sitting up there empty.

Where is your place? I used to live in Kona Paradise about 20 miles south of Kona.

/ Solar Pool heater
Thanks guys

This will be a direct connect to the pool plumbing, but I will include a TP relief valve just in case. Don't anticipate flowing directly onto grass or where someone might get scalded.

Was thinking about the parallel vs series as it looks like I have enough poly for a 2nd, slightly smaller array. I'm thinking the parallel would be better and thinking I might control each with own valves, meaning I could actually turn either one completely off if necessary. I did find it interesting in the redneck pool heater thread that faster flow was more efficient.

I know the poly is a low melt, so am leaving open. I do hope to incorporate a thermometer to monitor temp changes.

I do want to prevent flow at night or cool days to prevent the cooling effect. Need more incite/research there.

/ Solar Pool heater
Raspy

Hamakua side, Ninole.

/ Solar Pool heater #6  
Setting up a solar system is a lot more complicated than some people think. For efficiency the water should go into the bottom of the array so that it completely fills the pipes and displaces all the air. But that means a lot more pressure in the pipe so every joint will be tested. What did you have in mind in this regard?

/ Solar Pool heater #7  
I don't think you have near enough pipe to make much difference. Here is mine there is 600 ft of poly. I think you would get more heat with a large manifold at each end rather than one long pipe.

Attachments

• DSCN0188.JPG
    DSCN0188.JPG
    256.5 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCN0189.JPG
    DSCN0189.JPG
    233.3 KB · Views: 129
   / Solar Pool heater #8  
the biggest issue is being able to time it right turning the pump on during day and off before sun goes down. I did a simalar thing by using a smaller submersible pump that connects to garden hose and I put all the hoses I got on the house roof leading to south side and back. I put the pump on a timer and it only rose water 2-5 degrees higher then it was, but not enough to be higher then air temps during the cooler days . So I abandoned this concept.

/ Solar Pool heater #9  
Why do you even need a pump. If you can locate the pipe in a manner that it is higher than the pool, ( your roof),you should be able to let water from the bottom of the pool flow into the bottom level of the pipe and the natural convection of the water rising in the pipe as it heats up should supply heated water back to the top of pool. No need for anything electrical and the water will only circulate if the water in the pool is cooler than the water in the pipe. If you use a check valve to prevent flow back to the pool from the bottom of the pipe, it wouldnt even need to be a closed system.

/ Solar Pool heater #10  
Why do you even need a pump. If you can locate the pipe in a manner that it is higher than the pool, ( your roof),you should be able to let water from the bottom of the pool flow into the bottom level of the pipe and the natural convection of the water rising in the pipe as it heats up should supply heated water back to the top of pool. No need for anything electrical and the water will only circulate if the water in the pool is cooler than the water in the pipe. If you use a check valve to prevent flow back to the pool from the bottom of the pipe, it wouldnt even need to be a closed system.

This will not work at all.