Damage to my barn today

/ Damage to my barn today #1  

wmonroe

Elite Member
Tractor
1958 Ford 961 Powermaster
My neighbor that farms part of my place was over today to round bale my fields. The bales were already sold so they were trucking them straight out of the field to the buyer. My neighbor was driving the truck, the one guy that is his main employee was running the tractor loading the bales on the trailer, I was on my Kubota raking, and they had another local guy running the tractor and baler. To make this not too long, he finished baling the bigger of of my two fields and moved to the smaller field which is behind and up him from my barn. He tied a bale and dumped it at the top of the hill and it rolled about 50-75 yards and slammed into the side of my building. Damage to the outside is actually not bad and would only require changing out three pieces of metal and one trim piece but the damage inside is worse. The bale hit almost right on one of the posts and it is cracked, and the 2x6 purlin where the waistcoat and siding meet is cracked/broken. I didn't take pictures yet but will tomorrow. The whole thing makes me sick since the building is only about two years old and I expect to live here another 50+ years. I like to keep everything I own in good shape and looking nice and this just really bothers me, but part of me says I should just accept that this is part of life and fix it and move on. Sorry for the long post, just needed to vent a little.

/ Damage to my barn today #2  
Depressing yes but it can be fixed nobody was hurt and as you said just move on. Hopefully they will chip in to help with the repairs

/ Damage to my barn today #3  
if the 2x6 purlin most likely could easily be replaced when the tin is off,

If the post is a laminated post one could cut (staggered ) and replace the cracked boards,

if solid I would take some 1/8" flat steel the correct width, and saddle up on both sides drill through and bolt it,

that is how I would fix it if insurance is not going to do any thing for you,

if Insurance is going to help call the building company and have them come repair it and send the bill to the insurance company to pay,

/ Damage to my barn today #4  
Accidents happen. I can understand how you feel. I'm sure it can be made to look as good as new though.

You should stretch a mason's string along that wall to see if that side is bowed in more than just the obvious place where it was hit by the bale.

/ Damage to my barn today #5  
When IH first came out with big round balers, the other "set-up" man where I worked at the time took one to a local farmer to demonstrate. Rolled the first bale down a hill, through a fence & into a gully!

Good luck on your repairs! ~~ Lowell

/ Damage to my barn today
Depressing yes but it can be fixed nobody was hurt and as you said just move on. Hopefully they will chip in to help with the repairs
Thanks, I haven't had a chance to talk to my neighbor yet but he is a good guy.

if the 2x6 purlin most likely could easily be replaced when the tin is off, If the post is a laminated post one could cut (staggered ) and replace the cracked boards, if solid I would take some 1/8" flat steel the correct width, and saddle up on both sides drill through and bolt it, that is how I would fix it if insurance is not going to do any thing for you, if Insurance is going to help call the building company and have them come repair it and send the bill to the insurance company to pay,
I think the 2x6 won't be too bad to replace.
The post is made up of three 2x8's glued and nailed together. It looks like only one of them actually broke (right where a knot was) but the other two just bent the nails over and separated, I'll get some pictures. My first thought is to try and pugs it back straight with the bucket on the Kubota and if I can get it back plumb screw the existing post boards back together and then put a 12' 2x8 on either side, glue them good, and run big carriage bolts through. I wasn't planning on talking to the insurance company as it seems that always causes more trouble than help but maybe I should give them a call.

Accidents happen. I can understand how you feel. I'm sure it can be made to look as good as new though. You should stretch a mason's string along that wall to see if that side is bowed in more than just the obvious place where it was hit by the bale.
Good idea on the string, I'll check it.

When IH first came out with big round balers, the other "set-up" man where I worked at the time took one to a local farmer to demonstrate. Rolled the first bale down a hill, through a fence & into a gully! Good luck on your repairs! ~~ Lowell
Thanks

/ Damage to my barn today #8  
I know how you feel - I've had accidents with my outbuildings also. I'd check with the insurance co and then go ahead and make necessary patches and repairs. Consider this as just part of life's experiences. Neighbor's son got run over by a round bale - luckily the only "damage" was to his macho image & ego.

Sorry for taking a while to reply, it has been very busy here. Anyway my neighbor came over today and we discussed the repair and he basically agrees with what I want to do and said he is going to pay for it. He is a good neighbor and I am going to try to do this as reasonable as possible while still making sure it is done right. I am lucky to have a good neighbor and will make sure I help him out around his farm, we've had a good history over the three years I've lived here of helping each other when needed and it pays off at times like these. Here are some pictures of the damage.

Attachments

• image-1769174809.jpg
    image-1769174809.jpg
    589 KB · Views: 434
  • image-230397073.jpg
    image-230397073.jpg
    565.6 KB · Views: 396
  • image-2595873626.jpg
    image-2595873626.jpg
    562.3 KB · Views: 331
  • image-1870477034.jpg
    image-1870477034.jpg
    583.8 KB · Views: 332
  • image-2920304577.jpg
    image-2920304577.jpg
    622.4 KB · Views: 386
  • image-2213475967.jpg
    image-2213475967.jpg
    666.2 KB · Views: 446
  • image-880989822.jpg
    image-880989822.jpg
    646.1 KB · Views: 290
  • image-688516790.jpg
    image-688516790.jpg
    587.3 KB · Views: 339
   / Damage to my barn today #10  
From the pics, you could push the post back straight and run a few bolts thru to clamp the post back to shape. Since the loads are mainly downwards (compression load) I don't believe you have lost any structural strength.
It looks to me as if the adhesive and nails that were used to 'laminate' the post simply let go from the sudden shock load. It has been my experience that many of the PL type adhesives simply dry out after time and just no longer stick.
If you are worried, I'd simply rip some 3/4 ply to 7.5" wide and re enforce your posts that way.