Building a bridge

/ Building a bridge #1  

Slicer1972

Tractor
Ford
Hey been searching the web for help and have read numerous posts on here (about the only place I've seen about dyi build bridging). But haven't seen what I need. Trying to replace/build a bridge (had to pick up the old one do to age rotting and beavers). From edge to edge of the creek is 15 feet the old bridge was a beam bridge put down like that. The water level is usually 3-4 feet below the bridge. High water mark is around the top of the land but that's a rarity. Trying to make it where I can cross it with my Ford 555D backhoe (14,000 pounds) so I can start cleaning up the back side of the property. Been thinking about using 25-30 foot telephone poles and using a wire on both sides to the center kinda as a suspension/beam bridge.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    625.4 KB · Views: 485
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    774.8 KB · Views: 434
Last edited:
   / Building a bridge
Well posted this from my iPad and the photos posted aren't anything overtaken lol. Will have to post them once I get to my computer

/ Building a bridge #3  
I knew a guy who purchased a damaged flatbed trailer at an auction and used it for a bridge on his property.

/ Building a bridge #4  
Can you back away some and take some pictures?

/ Building a bridge #5  
I would check on the load handling capacity of telephone poles, in your area, first. You have a heavy piece of equipment and the bridge must handle both static( tractor sitting in the center of the bridge at a dead stop) and dynamic( tractor moving & bouncing across the bridge) loading. Unless you have some large anchor points on each side of the creek, I'd not go with a suspension system. Lay four, evenly spaced, telephone poles across the creek with a heavy timber top deck and be done with it.

A suspension bridge requires the knowledge of a civil engineer and the building skills normally beyond the average person. You may also want to consider a large culvert and then dirt fill to bridge the creek. It depends upon the time, effort and money you have allocated for this project.

/ Building a bridge #6  
I've vote for the semi flat bed. For the time and trouble, they're the way to go. Don't know about your state, but some don't like bridges (or culverts) over water without permits.

/ Building a bridge #7  
I agree on the semi flatbed. If there is a seaport within trucking distance, you might also be able to find a flatbed or flat deck shipping container. These have a design capacity of something like 38,000 lbs, so even a used, slightly-rusty one might do for your purposes. Note that these shipping containers and truck flatbeds tend to be 8 ft or narrower, whereas some folks like a bridge to be a bit wider (say 10' or even 12') for peace of mind while crossing.

/ Building a bridge #8  
I wouldnt use phone poles either.

They are all different, and not uniform in size. Plus their condition, and future condition is hard to account for. Makes it hard to calculate what load they can handle and 15' is a good length span.

Either go with some I-beams, a flatbed trailer as mentioned, or large culvert(s)

/ Building a bridge
Thanks for all the input... Been looking at flat bed trailers and the cheapest I found was around $3,000 out of my budget..... Never thought of a rail car but pretty sure thats out as well but will definitely look into it..... Here are some better angles of the spot for the bridgeIMG_1719.jpgIMG_1720.jpg. Thats my son standing near the edge of the one bank...

Still leaning toward the telephone poles since I can get them for free. Was thinking about possibly bolting the telephone poles together making a beam out of them and putting them directly under the path of the tires. also was planning on putting concrete footers down so that they have something solid to sit on. The top deck will be out of 2x8s...