Popular siding for barn. Thoughts?

/ Popular siding for barn. Thoughts? #11  
I was talking about tulip poplar. It is a nice wood. Trees grow tall, with few side branches (so few knots), has a straight grain. It saws nicely into boards, but has a greenish color to the wood, with sometimes a purplish cast. However, it stains readily, and can make good moldings, bookcases, etc. It just rots readily, if kept damp.

/ Popular siding for barn. Thoughts? #12  
Is it safe to assume that someone had to prove to someone else that they could hit the broad side of a barn?

Neighbor kids get into one of my barns from time to time and shoot the birds in the rafters. The barn is 50' high so a number of birds roost in there. Pi$$es me off to have to go put plugs in the roof and silicone them up.

/ Popular siding for barn. Thoughts? #13  
In South Alabama cypress is a great choice. I used cypress with four inch wide, one inch thick pine battens. Getting that type of lumber is beginning to be the issue. There is an independent lumber mill that I go to but if it closed, it would be difficult to replace.

/ Popular siding for barn. Thoughts? #14  
Neighbor kids get into one of my barns from time to time and shoot the birds in the rafters. The barn is 50' high so a number of birds roost in there. Pi$$es me off to have to go put plugs in the roof and silicone them up.
your barn
People do not respect other folks property like they use to. Makes me mad too. Makes me wonder what those kids in your barn will do when they get older.

/ Popular siding for barn. Thoughts? #15  
your barn
People do not respect other folks property like they use to. Makes me mad too. Makes me wonder what those kids in your barn will do when they get older.

I think mostly it is kids climbing around on the bales of hay, shooting at birds, but so far I am just glad they don't start a fire. No one lives on the property and I can't be there all the time.

/ Popular siding for barn. Thoughts? #16  
I think mostly it is kids climbing around on the bales of hay, shooting at birds, but so far I am just glad they don't start a fire. No one lives on the property and I can't be there all the time.

My folks taught me to not trespass on other people's property. It has been my experience that it is difficult to keep others off my property even when I am living on it and especially when I am not there for a period of time. I have started putting up trail cameras to see who is coming around. A place close to me helped solve a theft case by using these cameras.

/ Popular siding for barn. Thoughts? #17  
The 40 x 54 barn at my brother's property was built in 1868 and in the same family until this year... the last rancher was born there in 1912 and passed away 98 years later and still spry and the go to guy for the areas living history...

Anyway, the barn is all clear heart untreated redwood with dirt floors... some of the siding boards are over 20" wide...

My vote is clear heart redwood...

25 years ago I built a 20 x 30 shop and used ship lap Redwood and ship lap Cedar with Pine for trim... the pine is all buy rotted away and the redwood and cedar are fine.

/ Popular siding for barn. Thoughts? #18  
My folks taught me to not trespass on other people's property. It has been my experience that it is difficult to keep others off my property even when I am living on it and especially when I am not there for a period of time. I have started putting up trail cameras to see who is coming around. A place close to me helped solve a theft case by using these cameras.

Right. I put a gate up on the entrance to one of my properties and a guy that lives down the road actually complained that I was making it hard for him to cross my property. On one of my other properties one guy said "I walk through here all the time, it's just a farm".

/ Popular siding for barn. Thoughts? #19  
Both poplar, which is related to aspen and cottonwood and tulip poplar, which is in the magnolia family, will make fine siding for a barn.

/ Popular siding for barn. Thoughts? #20  
Right. I put a gate up on the entrance to one of my properties and a guy that lives down the road actually complained that I was making it hard for him to cross my property. On one of my other properties one guy said "I walk through here all the time, it's just a farm".

Wow!! That would drive me nuts. timbuktu, USA. I would make sure I have good insurance coverage there.