Popular siding for barn. Thoughts?

/ Popular siding for barn. Thoughts? #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
Looking at pine or popular for barn siding. The house was built in 1800's and still has original popular siding so thinking of using it again. Thoughts for good and bad please!

/ Popular siding for barn. Thoughts? #2  
Poplar is fine as long as it stays dry.

/ Popular siding for barn. Thoughts? #3  
I'm in the process of having a 24X24 garage built with a board and batten exterior. Instead of pine, I'm having cypress installed. Cost a little more but builder says it will hold up better than pine (really high heat load here in VA). Time will tell.

/ Popular siding for barn. Thoughts?
I'm doing board and batten also. It's a 40x60 barn with poured wall foundation so wood will be 12" or so off ground. Thinking I will go this route as I really like poplar and have a good supply for it.

/ Popular siding for barn. Thoughts? #5  
You don't say where you live, and that might make a difference. When I lived in Maryland, poplar was a very common siding for barns. My barn dated from the 1800's and the wood was solid, wherever it was kept from the rain. It also was full of shotgun pellets, .22 pellets, and a few rifle bullet holes. Still, a very good, strong wood, if kept dry.

/ Popular siding for barn. Thoughts? #6  
We have a mill near us doing rough cut hemlock. Its what I use.

/ Popular siding for barn. Thoughts? #7  
You don't say where you live, and that might make a difference. When I lived in Maryland, poplar was a very common siding for barns. My barn dated from the 1800's and the wood was solid, wherever it was kept from the rain. It also was full of shotgun pellets, .22 pellets, and a few rifle bullet holes. Still, a very good, strong wood, if kept dry.

Is it safe to assume that someone had to prove to someone else that they could hit the broad side of a barn?

/ Popular siding for barn. Thoughts? #8  
I am using T1-11 plywood siding on a now three year old shed and an addition onto the house. I like the rustic type finish, even painted.

/ Popular siding for barn. Thoughts? #9  
Here in Quebec many if not the majority of old barns were sided with popular as it is about the cheapest wood around as well as not meeting structural specs for structural use.
As long as it stays dry it is OK judging by the number of 100+ yr old barns dotting the countryside.
In fact that old weathered barn siding is now a very desirable decorator material and fetches prices that shames exotic paneling.

/ Popular siding for barn. Thoughts? #10  
Let's make sure that we are talking about the same thing. When I hear "poplar" I think of "yellow poplar," AKA "tulip poplar," even though that tree is not a true poplar.

What "poplar" are you talking about?

Steve