Ants interupting my project.

/ Ants interupting my project. #1  

Rio_Grande

Platinum Member
We are trying to clear and build a pole building that we may later live in. Our problem is, ANTS these are not fire ants or at least I don't think they are, but they will bite ya and it hurts. Anyone have an idea how to kill these things? I have used ant bait, borax and sugar, fire, diesel, fire and diesel and digging out. Any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• image-3280221077.jpg
    image-3280221077.jpg
    761.8 KB · Views: 337
  • image-815713500.jpg
    image-815713500.jpg
    755.2 KB · Views: 316
   / Ants interupting my project. #2  
They look like fire ant mounds to me. Fire ants will come streaming out of their mounds if you stomp on the ground nearby.

Have you tried Amdro?

Steve

/ Ants interupting my project. #3  
Pour some Borax on the hill.

/ Ants interupting my project. #4  
It's my belief that fire ants slip up your leg, get into position, and all bite at the same time on command from the leader. She must have a tiny megaphone.

/ Ants interupting my project.
I used a ant bait, might have been Ardmo, not certain. It was the only ant bait I could find locally. It was a granular product. I spread a lot around the mound 4 times this summer, watered it in as required and it seemed to set them back, but if you poke a mound they still come flooding out, juts not as many as the untreated mounds.

I thought fire ant mounds had 1 hole down the middle, this is solid on top with tunnels that exit out the sides. I am of course no expert. Every time I make a pile of dirt they infest it..

/ Ants interupting my project. #6  
I'm new here... Usually lurking while I try to learn a bit about tractors... I am experienced with fire ants since I grew up in New Orleans. They do indeed sneak up your leg and then all bite at once. The bite will form a little puss ball in a day or so. They are mean and should be eradicated! I usually pour lighter fluid on the mounds, let it sink in well, and then light it for a good time. I guess any petroleum product would work as well.

/ Ants interupting my project. #9  
The key to killing ants is to do a broadcast treatment instead of treating individual mounds. If you treat just the mounds, new mounds will form in a few days because there are always some 'less active' mounds in the area that you don't see.

Talstar (bifenthrin) is a good product to use for broadcast treatments. It is fairly inexpensive and is safe for pets and humans. And it works quickly, within a day or so. It helps to water it in after application, or spread it just before a light rain. It is also better to apply when the ants are active, which us usually in the morning or late afternoon. However, it does kill many other insects. (such as worms, mosquitoes, fleas, etc.)

There are many baits available and they work very well. Baits are more specific to ants and will not kill other insects. However, baits can take a long time to kill the mounds, because the bait (poison) is taken to the queen. She dies and then the workers slowly die off. This can take 4-6 weeks.

Again, the key is to treat the entire area, and the larger area you treat, the longer it will take for the ants to re-invade.

And, as always, be sure to read and follow the label before using any pesticide.

/ Ants interupting my project. #10  
They don't have to be fire ants for the poison to work.
I buy Ortho, or Spectracide fire ant killer and use it frequently which knocks them down but they do migrate from other properties.
When I bought my property there were free range chickens on it. There were NO ants and very little other insects!!