OSB or Plywood for Truss Gussets?

/ OSB or Plywood for Truss Gussets? #1  

gdicks

Tractor
Kubota BX 2230
Starting to build my gambrel Trusses for my garage and Id like opinions on what material to use for the Gussets? and what thickness of either would folks suggest? Obviously OSB is cheaper but is the savings worth it?

/ OSB or Plywood for Truss Gussets? #2  
i just completed building a whack of trusses for a tractor barn i am building
depending on how many gussets you are using AND type of trusses, the difference in price between OSB & Plywood may be minimal
from the research that i did, Plywood was the far superior material and i figured it was not the place to cut corners. Also make sure you use nails instead of screws especially not drywall screws

from all the research i read, 1/2" was minimal thickness

for reference
Why I Choose Plywood versus OSB

/ OSB or Plywood for Truss Gussets? #3  
OSB has more sheer strength than plywood, exterior grade plywood has less issues with water exposure. I'd go with 3/4 thickness which every you choose

/ OSB or Plywood for Truss Gussets? #4  
I would only use plywood as it is quite abit stronger .

/ OSB or Plywood for Truss Gussets? #5  
I've never built trusses but I've built a few boats out of plywood.

I would never consider using OSB for gussets in roof trusses.

I would also want a decent grade of plywood for critical structural use. Plywood with as many layers of veneer as possible. Might go marine grade douglas fir or some such. Would certainly not use exposure-rated sheathing ply.

/ OSB or Plywood for Truss Gussets? #6  
Manufactured I joists are virtually all made with OSB as OSB has almost twice the shear value of plywood. If its good enough for manufactured joists which are tested and approved, then it will be good enough for your open web trusses.

index.jpg

/ OSB or Plywood for Truss Gussets? #7  
In engineered products, the OSB is sandwiched between two other engineered products. With gussets, they are doing the sandwiching. The plywood will be the better choice here. Go 3/4" as someone else mentioned. Use a nailgun with ring shanked nails and they will never come out.

/ OSB or Plywood for Truss Gussets? #8  
I'm not seeing how the "two other engineered products" result in more than a minor contribution to the shear strength of the joist. They are merely nailing surfaces for floor/roof sheathing or for miscellaneous attachment of other products. Plywood, unless you use a product with high lamination count (expensive) has voids which I would not want in a small piece as used for a gusset.

YMMV

/ OSB or Plywood for Truss Gussets? #9  
I just Googled "truss gusset" and found that glue is more important. OSB or plywood both work but use a white / yellow glue and tight joints and not construction adhesive. The Purdue PDF used 3/8 plywood. One article said staples better than nails. But my research was too brief. I'd call a truss company and ask their engineer.

/ OSB or Plywood for Truss Gussets? #10  
I am old school I would only use plywood, for gussets,

Now as a web that is different in my opinion,