So you want to do your own pipe fence??????

/ So you want to do your own pipe fence?????? #1  

wroughtn_harv

Tractor
2013 Volvo MC85C
I've got a deal for you.

For about six months I've been working on a couple of different things. One of them is a way for the less experienced but just as energetic homeowner to do their own pipe fence.

I had a great idea. It was wonderfulemousosis.

Then a bud had a better idea.

Here's his. But please understand he would never had this idea without mine to inspire him, darn his hide!

Attachments

• 360747-Image032.jpg
    360747-Image032.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 2,279
   / So you want to do your own pipe fence??????
I had this thing where we cut a piece of pipe one and an eighth inches and then double notched it to make that joint his does with a simpler to make and even more flexible piece.

Attachments

• 360749-Image029.jpg
    360749-Image029.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,956
You see with this piece one can have two and three eighths posts and two and three eighths rail or even two and seven eighths posts and two and three eighths rail or two and three eighths posts and two and seven eighths rail.

Attachments

• 360752-Image031.jpg
    360752-Image031.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,736
Here you go. A four rail five and a half foot high two and three eighths (two inche schedule forty pipe) posts and rail fence.

Attachments

• 360754-Image016.jpg
    360754-Image016.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,898
close up of joint all welded up

Attachments

• 360755-Image017.jpg
    360755-Image017.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,586
another view

Attachments

• 360757-Image026.jpg
    360757-Image026.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,266
and another

Attachments

• 360759-Image023.jpg
    360759-Image023.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 1,111
Let's put things into perspective. Around here a four rail new black pipe fence like this goes for fifteen to eighteen dollars a foot if it's done the regular way where each rail is cut in and welded between the posts.

Same job, same amount of welding, no cutting or fitting to speak of and since the piece provides as much of a welding area as the cut in joint does, just as strong. And the contractor can charge twenty five percent less and actually put more money per hour in his pocket.

But for the do it yourselfer with a welder and some initiative it is no longer an intimidating nightmare of learning to use a torch besides learned to weld.

The first question that's always asked is, "how do you do gates and corners with the rails on the side?"

Nothing but a thing dahlin', nothing but a thing. You do the corners the same and you use the same gates.

I use the eye. But most folks use a string line to lay out their posts. The beauty of this system is it's made for the the stringline.

You set your end, corner, and gate posts on side of the string. You put your line posts on the other. That means your rails end into the gate, end, and corner posts just like regular pipe fence does.

Now I had to make up some helper tools, mostly because I'm too much of a hardheaded one way son of a gun to have help hang around long.

There's not much to it. And everyone who's seen it, competitors, friends, customers, think it looks as good as conventionally done pipe fence, and the savings? Well, that's sorta like the ease of doing it, down right nice in it's own way.

Attachments

• 360767-Image019.jpg
    360767-Image019.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 1,385
   / So you want to do your own pipe fence?????? #9  
That looks like a neat system, Harv. Certainly takes a lot if the intimidation out of considering a fence like that.

Which leads me to some questions. Pipe fences are not real prevalent in our area, except on bridges and such, done by professional crews. I can't say I recall ever seeing one on a residence, and have never noticed one on a comnmercial site. I'd like to know more about them. I can guess at some of the answers, but it would be nice to have them from the expert.

What are the advantages and disadvantages? What are some of the other alternatives most often seen (or, in other words, in what circumstances do you see pipe fences as a good alternative?) Why should I consider one? I need small animal retraint (our dogs); what mesh is usually used? Is it usually stretched on, and how attached?

What materials are typically used. If so, do you do anything, like spray cold galvanize, to restore the integrity of a cut or weld? How are the fences finished - spray paint? With what (material, equipment)?

How do costs compare with other alternatives, exclusive of labor? A friend of mine just bought a Henrob torch. Have you used one, and do you like it?

I'm pretty familiar with welding aluminum from other work I do; when you balance corrosion resistance against cost (espeically here in tropical Florida), is aluminum a viable alternative?

Sorry to hound you with so many questions, but I like to know how things work.

{edit} Just read the thread "pipe fence project" and it answered some of my questiions, such as pipe material and size, fence mesh, attaching mesh. Thanks in advance.

Good morning Don,

Pipe fence is for livestock and vehicular traffic impediment. The reason it's so popular here in the southwest is because at one time used oilfield pipe went for scrap price. Weldors were everywhere and made enough money doing real work that they could afford to weld up a bud's fence for a reasonable price.

If you go out of the main population centers here in Texas you will see a gas powered welding machine in just about every other pickemup (slight exaggeration, not much though). And used oilfield pipe is being replaced by new pipe. The fence I pictured in this thread is new pipe. Your wife will hate you for working with it. Grease and dirt make fine partners in destroying a loving relationship.

Out west they do a lot more fence like I do with the galvanized and horse wire, two by four non climb and V Mesh. They just don't do much of it weld up. They use chainlink fence construction techniques and materials.

In your area there's no way I'd put up used or new black pipe. Old lady rust would steal it from you shortly if not sooner unless scraping and painting is your favoritest pastime.

A galvanized weld up is a good fence if the welds are properly cleaned and real cold galvanizing is used to cover the area affected by the weldment.

A chainlink fence would probably be your best bet for your situation. Chainlink isn't worth a flip around livestock. It stretchs because it's knit or woven. Also the texture of the chainlink causes it to be one of the best scratch post back rubbing side itch eliminating things around.

Large animals will stretch it out of shape in no time. Small animals will take advantage of it's stretching to go under it. You'd think goats would be go over animals but they are go under ones. One of the hardest things to do is to have a chainlink fence and goats staying home.

Most of the fencing I do is for livestock on small parcels of land. The hardest physically for me working by myself to do is the schedule forty pipe and V Mesh five foot high fence. But it is the most rewarding because it's the Mercedes of livestock containment. It looks great. It'll last for darn near ever. And it's the most owner and animal friendly fence out there. And you don't need a fear barrier (hot wire) to keep the livestock off the fence.